Rabbits

jhough

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 29, 2011
OK, well I had no idea where to put this question. We are considering getting rabbits and chickens some time in the near future. Anyway, we have a barn that is about 40 feet long and 18 feet wide. My question is, can they be housed under the same roof? The rabbits would be caged and the chickens would be in their own area without access to the rabbits.

As long as there is good ventilation, I don't see why not. If you think ventilation is necessary for chickens, wait'll you get a whiff of strong rabbit urine!
Are you going with cages with trays or no trays? Personally, I think trays make for too much extra work. When I had my rabbitry, I had a dirt floor--easy to take care of!

I keep mine together, they share a coop and a run. The rabbit has her own space that only she can get into (very small door), Right now she is closed in the cage due to having bunnies. Other then that I let them just mingle with each other. I've had no problems except some foot stomping over watermelon LOL.

The majority of our rabbits--I have less than fifteen--live in raised hutches outside about three/four feet in the air. Our four Dwarf Hotos live inside and are in solid-bottom cages--I hate these!--while I build their stacking cages. They have to be cleaned and bedding replaced daily even though they are big cages and DH are tiny rabbits. Wire bottoms for rabbits are MUCH better in my opinion. My rabbits all have the mats so they can get off the wire and these mats also have small holes to allow waste to fall through and not pile up. The wire floors have small holes to make sure that baby rabbits--and feet--cannot slip through.

CYG

I've never put my chickens and rabbits together, but I've got these chicken wire rings that I keep my meat rabbits in. They sit right on the grass and I move it every day so they don't dig or ruin the turf. It seems to work pretty good and I rarely have to buy feed for them because they eat so much grass. Every once in a while I will give them a hand full of chicken feed for extra nutrients. The chickens walk around the rabbit rings but don't seem to want to give the rabbits any trouble. I can post a picture of the rabbit set up if anyone is interested.p>

The Homestead Homeboy

Back
Top Bottom