Rabbits?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by michickenwrangler, Oct 6, 2011.

1. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    DBF's sister has some rabbits (not sure if they're a meat breed or what). One of the rabbits is boyfriend's daughter's pet rabbit kept at her aunt's house. Before he left for FEMA work in NJ, he said something about building a hutch and run for the rabbit, but he never had time to do it.

Well, I ran into his sister who strongly hinted that she would like me to take her rabbits. Now that I have dispatched some layers, I have an extra coop and can divide the chicken run for room for rabbits. I have no idea how many rabbits she expects me to take. DBF warned me that there are male and females. I don;t really want to mess with breeding or meat at this point.

Advice?

Sorry if this seems garbled.

2. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    eaither get the males neutered or seperate them do you know how to sex them?

3. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I have my rabbits and chickens together in the same coop and run. Aside from the occasional treat stealing there are no problems. If I were in the sitiation I'd inform her I'd like to take the daughter's rabbit and if she had any other's that were the same sex you could take a few more off her hands. Keep the males and females far apart from each other (apparently they can breed through cages, I found out the hard way).

If the pet is a female I'd take a few more females to keep her company, but if the sister doesn't keep them seperate plan for babies (you never know). Good luck.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    It sure sounds to me like you don't really want the rabbits. I suggest that you tell her, "no thanks."

5. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    Quote:X2

If you dont really want the rabbits, then its not fair to you or them if you take them

6. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    i keep my rabbits and chickens togther too. but if your putting rabbits toghter that have never met before be very careful females are VERY territorial and will kill each other. males will also fight

7. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Interesting - I didn't get the impression that the OP didn't want the rabbits.

What if you just took the rabbit that is your BF's daughter's? At least you wouldn't be overwhelmed with them.

We have a male mini rex who is about six and a half. He's going to be moved back indoors from his hutch, but I'm hoping to get him neutered. I think my best advice on rabbits is that they are a lot more work than you would think. If they are just going to be kept as pets - stick with the one. You're spending all of this money on food and bedding for no real payback from the bunny. You aren't eating them and it doesn't sound like you're going to be using their fur like an angora. Or maybe you have a ton of space and feel like filling it up with bunnies and you don't mind the cost? I wouldn't mind getting a second rabbit in the future, but it would be an angora so I could spin yarn from it. I'm getting over my "save every animal" mentality and trying to focus on having animals that are well taken care of that also do something for me.

Let us know what happens!

8. reliant601

reliant601 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2010
    New Jersey
    Quote:X2

If you dont really want the rabbits, then its not fair to you or them if you take them

Agreed [​IMG]

9. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I agree with you. It didn;t sound like to me at all. Then again, I have been around the OP here for years now, and that is just how she writes.

MCW, you can get them neutered. I also want to let you know that bucks are far more mellow than does. Does can be cantankerous.

10. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Quote:Nope, no clue.

I just visited DBF in New Jersey this weekend and he's pretty apathetic and ambivalent about the whole rabbit thing.

Honestly, I've thought about getting DD a rabbit for when she gets a little older. As far as I know, his daughter rarely sees "her" rabbit so I have no idea how attached she is to it. She visited my house a few weekends ago and asked about when I was going to get her rabbit, so I think she wants to bring it here (especially since DD and I have horses, a dog and chickens already, I think she wants an animal that's "hers").

DBF made it very clear not to feel obligated to take the rabbits or guilty if I don't, so I'm still on the fence about it.

AGain, no idea on breed or sex of these critters. DBF only knew that there were both males and females.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by