Rabbits

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chicken_angler, Aug 8, 2008.

1. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    Yesterday my mom was mowing the yard and we saw 2 baby rabbits run away. We found one and put it back. It was soo cute. Then today I looked in the hole and there were like four! These are about 5 inches long. I was wondering if it would be possible to raise some if the mom doesnt come back. It would be worth a try. Let me know what you guys think! Chickenman8

2. chicken_angler

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    Anyone?

3. Justino

Justino ♪♫ Rockin' Rooster ♪♫

Dec 21, 2007
    KY
    hmmm...idk....im no rabbit expert.....

4. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    I think more likely than not they wouldn't survive. Any time in the past that I've tried to handle wild baby bunnies they've died of heart attacks along the way. Their best chance would be for mom to return, and she might be just not there when you are watching. Baby bunnies only really need to eat once every 24 hrs and she could be anywhere the rest of the time hiding.

5. Small Town Girl

Small Town Girl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2008
    Bexley, OH
    Wild rabbits are almost impossible to raise. They are extremely skittish and basically can die if they are over-excited. The best thing to do is just leave the nest alone. You probably won't see Mama Bunny at all, but don't be alarmed. During the day she will avoid the nest so that she doesn't draw predators to her babies. She will take care of them at night. I had a Very Dumb Bunny build a nest in the middle of my front yard, about 10 feet from a busy sidewalk. I worried and worried about the babies because I never saw her, but they were just fine and ended up hopping off into the sunset, only returning to eat my garden...

6. chicken_angler

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    Ok i went to the hole and all of them are looking to get out of there!

7. chicken_angler

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    We live on a busy road. The cars never stop.

8. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    I'd just let them be. More than likely, mom will be back. She just may be waiting on you to leave them before she comes back. If not, well.... nature taking it's course would be the best scenario.
    Edited to add: I wouldn't spend any time watching or going back to the hole-- if she feels there's a threat there, she may abandon them. So, I'd just leave them alone and let her take care of them [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  9. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    I wouldn't continue going back. Mother rabbits only visit their kits once a day during the night, so people tend to think the kits are abandoned just because they never see the mom. They'll be fine as long as they're left alone.

10. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    They don't eat and you don't know when the mom has been back because they visit at night so not to attract predators.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by