Raccon problem - do you have some solutions?

Kelly G

Crowing
15 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Tampa (Wesley Chapel), Florida
My Coop
My Coop
We have trapped 8 raccons (and one possum) in the last month...but there seems to be one too smart to get caught. He seems to reach through the trap bars and eat the food this way.

Is there poison that can be put out? Where do you get it?

My plan would be get out there at about 4am (seems the raccons are there just before dawn), and bait the trap with the poison since it's already use to eating from the trap...and I can keep the trap door closed to keep other animals out.

We have 5 cats that I can keep inside. No dogs.

What do you guys think of this? Are there any other solutions I'm not thinking of?

Thanks for your help!

Oh, and here is a picture of what I came home to on Friday after work:
302785_2005311927622_1088357634_31768849_1474930373_n.jpg

Two for the price of one!

Last edited:
I had a trap smart coon reaching through to get the bait. I punched a hole in a sardine can and wired it in place--------he had to go into the trap to get to the nice smelling can.
36435_shuteye.jpg

Ok..........trap is set - but CRAP!!! I bought anchovies instead of sardines. I hope it still works.

I drilled 3 holes in the top, and wired it to the bottom of the cage. Now I'll have to wait.......tick tock tick tock!

Hey Florida neighbor! My German Shepherd has taken care of the varmints so far, but I have a friend that had that problem of reaching through and getting the bait. He ended up digging a small hole (just big enough for the sardine can) UNDER the trap and putting the trap on top of it - so the coon had to go into the trap to be able to get to the can. It worked for him. Good Luck!

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom