Raccoon attack and ptsd?

feather13

Crowing
10 Years
Sep 4, 2012
southern california
Hi! Our four 4-6 year old hens were attacked by a huge raccoon in early June (my fault for going down to the coop a bit later than normal). The Barred Rock was killed by the raccoon, the Australorp and BO hid themselves, and I managed to save the RIR just as the raccoon was ready to attack (she was backed into a corner of the run).

The Australorp has always been aloof and screams if I touch her, but the RIR and BO were super friendly and curious birds. All three became what I would describe as depressed, skittish and wouldn't come near me. The Australorp actually seemed to cry while looking for her buddy, the Barred Rock, the next day. The RIR would have a hard time leaving the coop and going back into it at night and died two days ago (possibly from the heat? It's been 100+ here). The BO has started an early molt and won't come anywhere near me. I've tried to very gently catch her to examine her and make sure she's alright, but don't want to traumatize her even more. I wonder if they associate me with the raccoon since I was down in the orchard chasing the raccoon down with a bat and ran it off? We have Mareks on our property and I'm worried that the virus might become reactivated.

It's been two months now since the attack and we have since gotten 12 chicks who are now 10 weeks old. We'd like to integrate them at some point since they are quickly outgrowing their coop in our backyard and haven't yet seen the hens. But we don't want to stress out our two remaining birds. If you've dealt with traumatized chickens before, what advice would you give for helping them cope and integrating the pullets with the two hens? Thanks for your time.

Hi I have delt with birds who suffered from a fox attack and yes they will eventually be okay but it's still scary to them. Maybe you can do something a little diffrent in the coop like move something they use to a diffrent spot to make the coop feel different and not have such bad memories directly in their face and maybe creat a hiding place in the coop for when they feel unsafe. As far as your austrolorp I have also seen birds lose their best friends. My Sassy girl (a guinea) was so upset whenever a guinea passed away and my ten year old chicken combs was very upset affter losing her sister squints. It's hard on the birds that love each other but they'll eventually be okay. I would recomend spding a little extra time with your austrolorp. I think the integration now isn't a bad idea it'll give them a chance to be assertive again. Juts remeber to have te chicks in a see no touch area for a couple days first.
My spelling is really bad but I don't have time to fix it, sorry!

Thanks for your kind reply and advice, @Lovem all! I'm sorry your birds were attacked by a fox. That must have been awful. Wow--you have a ten-year-old chicken! That's so impressive! Our oldest chicken was seven years old.

Back
Top Bottom