Raccoon Attack, please help!

So sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
. Best of luck moving forward.

BTW, "dog-proof coon traps" work really well. We now keep two set out between the woods and the duck enclosure and have put a dent in the local coon population with them.

They are wild animals trying to survive in a every increasing habitat loss. I cannot blame them for trying to get my birds. It is there instinct. My job is to make my cage as impossible to get into as possible. I do not trap or kill them. Yes I do see them in my yard but so far locking them up in a tight house in a dog run with a cover has been successful. I am sorry for your loss and hope that you loose no more birds. Try to make your cage more secure as best you can. Hawks can fly into a open top cage and animals can dig underneath a cage. Lock them indoors at night if you can also. Best of luck.

They are wild animals trying to survive in a every increasing habitat loss. I cannot blame them for trying to get my birds. It is there instinct.
Well this is true, that said if i have predators attacking my flock/livestock sometimes reinforcing is not enough. I have a healthy group of predators here(wolves, coyotes, bear, fox, coons, mountain lion and on and on) i am always bothered by the building within the more populated part of town(i'm rural) as it drives predators closer, fencing only goes so far especially with other forms of livestock my horses are of my greatest concern so i would have no problems taking further action to protect them if the need arises.

They are wild animals trying to survive in a every increasing habitat loss. I cannot blame them for trying to get my birds. It is there instinct. My job is to make my cage as impossible to get into as possible. I do not trap or kill them. Yes I do see them in my yard but so far locking them up in a tight house in a dog run with a cover has been successful. I am sorry for your loss and hope that you loose no more birds. Try to make your cage more secure as best you can. Hawks can fly into a open top cage and animals can dig underneath a cage. Lock them indoors at night if you can also. Best of luck.
I talked with a professional trapper in Missouri, Missouri Law he can not release a trapped racoon, they carry rabies, be careful

Ya I must pipe in now: Billy the Exterminator said that if you are seeing a raccoon during the day, then that is a sign that something is really wrong. Like it has rabies. Habitat loss or not, in this area they are not a protected species. So just because it can't be released doesn't mean that it can't be taken care of. And when livestock is under attack, you as the owner have the responsibility to protect your ducks.

raccoons are more crepuscular/diurnal/nocturnal and not strictly nocturnal, and not strictly diurnal.

nocturnal -- active primarily at night

diurnal -- active primarily during day light

crepuscular - active primarily during twilight (dusk/dawn)

I'm not sure what happened to the raccoon. But it's gone, that's all I know. Now we're just focusing on rebuilding the cage and keeping the surviving ducks comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom