Raccoon attack survivor

Bluebubblepuppy

In the Brooder
Jan 16, 2022
Hello everyone im new to the forum but I'll try to give a quick recap of the situation. So we live in the suburbs and predators arent common in our area we had a small flock of 5 hens for years (8 years to be exact) and not ever had issues with predators. So for awhile we had 8 hens and 2 turkeys. Theyre all pets ranging in ages with the oldest hen being 8 years old and the 3 youngest hens being under a year. Out of no where we lost 3 hens, one of them,a special needs hen (blind) her body was completely dismembered but the only thing the raccoons ate was the brain and organs. The other 2 hens were gone completely. Anyway this kept going on and currently we're down to 3 hens and the turkey's. 2 nights ago I had just gotten home from the store and had a feeling in my stomach. I ran back to the backyard and a raccoon was trying to get to the chickens. Since we had secured everything and he wasn't able to get to the door as it had been it reached its arms thru a crack and grabbed one of the hens. I saw it just an time and the raccoons ran off. But the hen got hurt pretty bad he got a chunk of her head and she has claw marks down her neck. This is our oldest hen (8 years) and shes doing better from when I 1st got to her that night but just worried if she'll survive long term as I think her brain could be possibly exposed. Shes currently staying in my room on some towels. Its warm in here and have been feeding her various foods(her normal crumble, vegetables that have been pulsed, eggshells, mealworms,act.) Any advice would be greatly appreciated:)Ps. Lucy has gashes on her neck as well but couldnt get any clear pictures of that .
16423209080876190853085133558703.jpg
1642320958586588943767362122478.jpg

Hello everyone im new to the forum but I'll try to give a quick recap of the situation. So we live in the suburbs and predators arent common in our area we had a small flock of 5 hens for years (8 years to be exact) and not ever had issues with predators. So for awhile we had 8 hens and 2 turkeys. Theyre all pets ranging in ages with the oldest hen being 8 years old and the 3 youngest hens being under a year. Out of no where we lost 3 hens, one of them,a special needs hen (blind) her body was completely dismembered but the only thing the raccoons ate was the brain and organs. The other 2 hens were gone completely. Anyway this kept going on and currently we're down to 3 hens and the turkey's. 2 nights ago I had just gotten home from the store and had a feeling in my stomach. I ran back to the backyard and a raccoon was trying to get to the chickens. Since we had secured everything and he wasn't able to get to the door as it had been it reached its arms thru a crack and grabbed one of the hens. I saw it just an time and the raccoons ran off. But the hen got hurt pretty bad he got a chunk of her head and she has claw marks down her neck. This is our oldest hen (8 years) and shes doing better from when I 1st got to her that night but just worried if she'll survive long term as I think her brain could be possibly exposed. Shes currently staying in my room on some towels. Its warm in here and have been feeding her various foods(her normal crumble, vegetables that have been pulsed, eggshells, mealworms,act.) Any advice would be greatly appreciated:)Ps. Lucy has gashes on her neck as well but couldnt get any clear pictures of that . View attachment 2962222View attachment 2962223

Attachments

• 20220116_002910.jpg
    20220116_002910.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220116_002910.jpg
    20220116_002910.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Snapchat-146798779.jpg
    Snapchat-146798779.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 4
It sounds like you have done a great job of keeping her as comfortable as possible! Is she drinking water on her own? If not, you'll need to carefully give her water through a dropper or a syringe with the needle removed. Be careful to go slowly so she doesn't aspirate. Have you given her antibiotics? I would see what you can find at a feed store or similar in your area.

It sounds like you have done a great job of keeping her as comfortable as possible! Is she drinking water on her own? If not, you'll need to carefully give her water through a dropper or a syringe with the needle removed. Be careful to go slowly so she doesn't aspirate. Have you given her antibiotics? I would see what you can find at a feed store or similar in your area.
So she can eat and drink only thing is because of deep cuts on her neck seems painful for her to bend down to reach containers so we leave food and water out all day but sit down atleast twice a day to make sure she eats in front of us. I purchased some save a chick electrolytes as well. We have been cleaning the wound with a saline solution and also a home remedy (arnica tea) but arent sure what else would be safe as it looks to be her brain thats partially exposed😅 but shes been acting normal and still follows us as always. 🙂

Attachments

• 16423614911082777497825793269610.jpg
    16423614911082777497825793269610.jpg
    790.1 KB · Views: 6
Honestly if it was me I would cull her :( Not an easy decision to make but it will be a long road ahead in Winter and trying to keep her in the house away from the others.
:(
I did think about that its just hard since we've had her for so long and shes extremely sweet around people. Also since weve lost so many recently, really want to give her a chance. Also be this happened she was the dominant hen so none of the other birds messed with her so not sure it that would make a difference if we attempted to reintroduce her down the road

So she can eat and drink only thing is because of deep cuts on her neck seems painful for her to bend down to reach containers so we leave food and water out all day but sit down atleast twice a day to make sure she eats in front of us. I purchased some save a chick electrolytes as well. We have been cleaning the wound with a saline solution and also a home remedy (arnica tea) but arent sure what else would be safe as it looks to be her brain thats partially exposed😅 but shes been acting normal and still follows us as always. 🙂
If she's eating and drinking and seems like she wants to live, you might as well give her the chance! I would still be worried about infection given the open wound from a raccoon, by the time you notice an infection it might be too late. If it were my chicken I would administer injectable antibiotics, but not everyone feels comfortable with that which I understand.

If she's eating and drinking and seems like she wants to live, you might as well give her the chance! I would still be worried about infection given the open wound from a raccoon, by the time you notice an infection it might be too late. If it were my chicken I would administer injectable antibiotics, but not everyone feels comfortable with that which I understand.
What exactly would infection look like? Does the area just turn black?

Did you wear gloves when you handled her out there? If not, and you don't have that raccoon, talk to your doctor and/ or public health TOMORROW about your exposure to this raccoon's saliva, as they are major rabies carriers. Just do it!
About your hen if she's eating and drinking, that's a very good sign. Could you get her to an avian veterinarian? Otherwise, warm water to rinse these wounds, and an antibiotic wound dressing, Neosporin, better yet Silvadene, at least. Maluka honey is good too as a wound dressing. Pain meds!
Black tissue is dead tissue. Nothing like that yet, anyway.
Oral or injectable antibiotics, maybe, although then no eggs from her can be eaten, if she can lay eggs again.
All the best for her recovery.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom