Raccoon broke in but left the chickens? Or did it steal from another animal???

We never had problems with them before, foxes and hawks and raccoons yes but not coyotes. But now we’ve been seeing them more and lost the three. Weird.

I know they have to eat too but we’re in a more suburban area even though we’re on 2.5 acres. We’re the only ones who are haha we have houses right behind us in the back and the front is townhomes/condos. So it’s a bit concerning the coyotes are so bold because lots of people have little dogs, cats, kids, etc. and they don’t even run. They just stare at you. Idk, they just creep me out. :oops: plus they’re huge here!! Lol

It also really creeps me out to hear them calling and howling at night.

They dont always do it but creeps me out lol

Idk why. :oops:

They’re just the one animal I can’t get on board with hahah

And you’re not a lousy farmer! Lol I am too if you are lol I still cry over chickens 😂🤣🙈

And I hate seeing animals suffer too!!!
I cry over ours too. I think most of us on here have, one time or another at least. :D I can understand why the coyotes unnerve you. They don't do that here. We do see them once in a while. And when they sing,they're usually in the distance somewhere. I feel bad that everyone hates them though. They help with rodent control, among other things.

I cry over ours too. I think most of us on here have, one time or another at least. :D I can understand why the coyotes unnerve you. They don't do that here. We do see them once in a while. And when they sing,they're usually in the distance somewhere. I feel bad that everyone hates them though. They help with rodent control, among other things.
Glad it’s not just me lol

And yeah, I imagine in a more country/rural or natural setting they probably keep to themselves. We literally had one walk right down the driveway last week, day before my birds were taken. It actually was in the yard headed to them and my mom was yelling at it and it went up to the driveway but even then it was just like slowly trotting away and looked at us. Not scared at all. She had to yell more and go towards it. And it was HUGE. And this one was actually super dark. Never seen one like that before here. It was like black and tan kinda. I swear it almost looked like a GSD except it was taller and lankier and had a coyote head. It was weird.

When they sing it’s often right behind the coop or otherwise up close to the house which is also why it unnerves me so much haha and they do the yipping and everything.

And I wish they’d go after rodents! We have a rat problem and I swear they never go back near the coop!! They’re more towards the front and bigger area of woods.

And yeah, I imagine in a more country/rural or natural setting they probably keep to themselves. We literally had one walk right down the driveway last week, day before my birds were taken. It actually was in the yard headed to them and my mom was yelling at it and it went up to the driveway but even then it was just like slowly trotting away and looked at us. Not scared at all. She had to yell more and go towards it. And it was HUGE. And this one was actually super dark. Never seen one like that before here. It was like black and tan kinda. I swear it almost looked like a GSD except it was taller and lankier and had a coyote head. It was weird.

When they sing it’s often right behind the coop or otherwise up close to the house which is also why it unnerves me so much haha and they do the yipping and everything.

And I wish they’d go after rodents! We have a rat problem and I swear they never go back near the coop!! They’re more towards the front and bigger area of woods.

I very much dislike coyotes! We live on a farm out in the middle of nowhere and they come up to the house here too. We have a decent size herd of cattle and they will come up and try to eat the calf while the mother is delivering or shortly after the calf is born. We have also had them gang up and pack attack some of our older 3 month old calves. We go through barn cats like crazy as they would rather eat our animals than go hunt for rabbits and stuff. We have groups that howl to each other all the way around us - I hate the sound of them howling. I would never walk toward a big bold coyote. We had one once that would just stare you down - one time it was at the top of our driveway that was staring me down and I glanced down to stop the dog from running out of the house and when I looked up it was gone. We have a tree row that runs from the top of our driveway all the way down along the north side of our house - I just had a really bad feeling that he was headed my way stalking me through the trees. My hubby saw him and said that the coyote was not scared of him at all. Right now we have 2 that regularly come up in front of the house to look for cats.

I very much dislike coyotes! We live on a farm out in the middle of nowhere and they come up to the house here too. We have a decent size herd of cattle and they will come up and try to eat the calf while the mother is delivering or shortly after the calf is born. We have also had them gang up and pack attack some of our older 3 month old calves. We go through barn cats like crazy as they would rather eat our animals than go hunt for rabbits and stuff. We have groups that howl to each other all the way around us - I hate the sound of them howling. I would never walk toward a big bold coyote. We had one once that would just stare you down - one time it was at the top of our driveway that was staring me down and I glanced down to stop the dog from running out of the house and when I looked up it was gone. We have a tree row that runs from the top of our driveway all the way down along the north side of our house - I just had a really bad feeling that he was headed my way stalking me through the trees. My hubby saw him and said that the coyote was not scared of him at all. Right now we have 2 that regularly come up in front of the house to look for cats.
Oh wow that is terrifying!!! :eek: :th

I’ve heard they gang up and lure dogs away too.

And thankfully she wasn’t really close to it, our yard is huge, but she like came out of the house and kinda just stepped toward it a bit like she was going to keep going. It was basically in the driveway by that point. And yeah, when it got there it literally stopped and stared at us.

They’re terrifying!!!

They cross breed with dogs or so I've heard. That would account f ok r the size and unusual Color. Ours are small and gray.

They can also cross with grey wolves in areas where both are present.
I’ve heard that the coyotes we have here are part wolf and dog. They’ve tested them. People call them “coy wolves” but that’s a bit sensationalized. I guess a lot now prefer Eastern Coyote. I guess it was like over 100 years ago they did it so long time and they found they have wolf, dog, and of course coyote DNA. Which accounts for the larger size and different temperament/behavior, etc. but of course some are still actively breeding with dogs lol we don’t have wolves here.

Back
Top Bottom