Raccoon broke in but left the chickens? Or did it steal from another animal???

Pics
I didn't have to get past the first paragraph of your story before I knew it was a coon. The coon tracks were your first definitive clue. The fact that the eggs were taken slightly away from the box was clue #2. And your nest lid was most absolutely not heavy enough or tight enough to keep your eggs safe.

You might be able to get away with putting something as heavy as a cinder block on top but the surest way is to put latches on the front and both sides of the lid that are secured with snaps so the coons can't use their agile little paws to pop the latches open. Securing all three sides do the trick. Good luck!

I didn't have to get past the first paragraph of your story before I knew it was a coon. The coon tracks were your first definitive clue. The fact that the eggs were taken slightly away from the box was clue #2. And your nest lid was most absolutely not heavy enough or tight enough to keep your eggs safe.

You might be able to get away with putting something as heavy as a cinder block on top but the surest way is to put latches on the front and both sides of the lid that are secured with snaps so the coons can't use their agile little paws to pop the latches open. Securing all three sides do the trick. Good luck!
Thank you!!! I’ll try this!! I still haven’t gotten latches and was putting cinder blocks on but quit :oops:

But so far haven’t had any other incidents! But I’ll be sure to get latches ASAP!!

Back
Top Bottom