Raccoon/cat Mad at myself and heart broken!

Yay for Gold Dust. After all she has been through it might be good for her to have a couple little chicks!
Starfire669,
I am not sure if I have any fertle eggs. She has ever been with a roo and Bad Hair Day is only 3 months old and only been with the the older girls a few weeks. I may try to see if I can get some BO eggs for her and see if she will hatch them as she is sitting on the egg tonight and she hasn't been in the nest for the last week and a half much at all and only in the very begining right after the attack would she lay in there. Maybe I should try some wooden eggs first to see if she is broody.

Starfire669,
I am not sure if I have any fertle eggs. She has  ever been with a roo and Bad Hair Day is only 3 months old and only been with the the older girls a few weeks. I may try to see if I can get some BO eggs for her and see if she will hatch them as she is sitting on the egg tonight and she hasn't been in the nest for the last week and a half much at all and only in the  very begining right after the attack would she lay in there. Maybe I should try some wooden eggs first to see if she is broody.

Try the wooden eggs and if she is broody get her some hatching eggs or maybe get a few chicks and do the night switch under her. Her not sitting long might actually be better for her since she has been through this trauma. If you get a couple chicks, you can always buy a breed you want and just leave her to raise them.

I think it would be good for her to hatch some! And since she'll be doing it, you don't have to raise them, she will!
Very true subhanalah. My son was wanting to raise a brahma and ameracona so maybe I can get some eggs for her to raise. This is not helping with the chicken math I have been try to fight!!!!! Thanks you guys!!!!! : ) It would be fun watching her be a mommy though!!!

Try the wooden eggs and if she is broody get her some hatching eggs or maybe get a few chicks and do the night switch under her. Her not sitting long might actually be better for her since she has been through this trauma. If you get a couple chicks, you can always buy a breed you want and just leave her to raise them.
Starfire669,
That would be a wonderful idea!! Not sure how to do the night switch but I know there will be tons of great info on the site for me! I did see two cute chicks at TSC but I will try to find someone local first that I can see their blood lines and birds. The two at TSC had perfectly cut white/yellowish bowl shape puffs on their heads and were black and gray. One was lighter black/gray then the other. They were too cute. I googled but coulded figure out the breed. Any ideas? Here is a picture.

Starfire669, That would be a wonderful idea!! Not sure how to do the night switch but I know there will be tons of great info on the site for me! I did see two cute chicks at TSC but I will try to find someone local first that I can see their blood lines and birds. The two at TSC had perfectly cut white/yellowish bowl shape puffs on their heads and were black and gray. One was lighter black/gray then the other. They were too cute. I googled but coulded figure out the breed. Any ideas? Here is a picture.
No idea on the breed sorry. But good luck finding chicks for Gold Dust!

Could those chicks be Polish chickens?

Aww thank you!!! I believe you are correct! Black and Blue Polish sounds like it maybe. Hummm wonder if Gold Dust will be able to do egg math and realize she has two chicks but only had one egg she was sitting on?!?!
Have to tell you earlier I went l out and she was standing up in the nesting box and had her mouth open panting. It was a lil warm on the porch so I thought I would turn the air down a lil for her. Well apon looking at the controls I had put the mode on heat instead of AC set to 79 so warm air was coming out. The thing that amazed me but shouldn't have was she knew that her temp was too much for the egg so she was standing off it. She is showing the signs of a wonderful momma!
Guess I will be headed to TSC to see if the babies are still there tomorrow. Better read up on that night switching buisness!
Thanks again!

Aww thank you!!! I believe you are correct! Black and Blue Polish sounds like it maybe. Hummm wonder if Gold Dust will be able to do egg math and realize she has two chicks but only had one egg she was sitting on?!?!
Have to tell you earlier I went l out and she was standing up in the nesting box and had her mouth open panting. It was a lil warm on the porch so I thought I would turn the air down a lil for her. Well apon looking at the controls I had put the mode on heat instead of AC set to 79 so warm air was coming out. The thing that amazed me but shouldn't have was she knew that her temp was too much for the egg so she was standing off it. She is showing the signs of a wonderful momma!
Guess I will be headed to TSC to see if the babies are still there tomorrow. Better read up on that night switching buisness!
Thanks again!

Your welcome. I'm glad my guess seems correct. I think letting Gold Dust sit on eggs might have been a strain on her, a believe i have been told a sitting hen loses weight? I dont know, my chickens are only 8 weeks old. But i am very happy that Gold Dust is doing well and will soon have a couple chicks to look after. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom