raccoon possible rabiies

ericmcginn5

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
i have 5 chickens and i saw a racoon the other day at like 4 in the evening what woried me about rabbies. and then my sister whent ooutside tonight and ran past my chicken coop and a huge racoon hissed at her and didnt even run should i be worried about this racoon.

Raccoons are commonly out during the day while moving from one territory to another or looking for food especially when they have new babies to feed (and they can have 3 litters/year!)
Obviously you should never approach a wild animal but you only have to fear rabies if it shows symptoms.
This is from the Humane Society website:

Is that raccoon rabid?

If you see a raccoon in your yard during the day, don’t panic—she is not necessarily sick or dangerous. It’s perfectly normal for raccoons to be active throughout the day. She may merely be foraging longer hours to support her young, visiting a garden while the dogs are indoors, or moving to a new location.
Seeing a raccoon during the day is no cause for panic.
Key in on the behavior of the raccoon before calling for assistance. Look for:
    • Staggering gait
    • An animal seemingly oblivious to noise or nearby movement
    • Erratic wandering
    • Discharge from eyes or mouth
    • Wet and matted hair on face
    • Repeated high-pitch vocalization
    • Self-mutilation
If you see a raccoon showing these signs, call your local animal control or police department.

BUT you have to protect your flock... are they in an enclosure? Can the raccoons dig under, climb over or chew through the wire you have around the coop/run? Lots of info on BYC about raccoon proofing your coop and run if you need help.
And lots of info about trapping and disposing of them as well.
Personally, can't stand the critters. Good luck.

I wouldn't worry about rabies. As previously stated, they do go out during the day. As far as the raccoon hissing at your sister, they will do that when they feel threatened. They are pretty scrappy and don't always run from a confrontation. They hiss, growl, bark and snarl. All in all, they sound pretty vicious. Make sure your coop is secure. They have all night to figure out how to get in, and they will find any weak spot.

We had a rabit raccoon a couple of years back, and he was a very sad sight to see. He was staggering around, he'd take a few steps and then fall over, take a few more steps, fall over etc. Putting him out of his misery was the only merciful thing to do.

We had a rabit raccoon a couple of years back, and he was a very sad sight to see. He was staggering around, he'd take a few steps and then fall over, take a few more steps, fall over etc. Putting him out of his misery was the only merciful thing to do.

You are very kind. Thank you for helping him out of his agony.

“[FONT=verdana, sans-serif]According to Martin Lowney, State Director of USDA APHIS-WS in Virginia, "Translocation of wildlife (moving animals around) is one of the most detrimental threats to the eradication of rabies." Raccoon rabies arrived in the mid-Atlantic region during the late 1970s when raccoons infected with the disease were translocated from Florida to Shenandoah County, Virginia, and Hardy County, West Virginia. The rabies virus quickly spread up and down the East Coast from these released raccoons.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, sans-serif]"Translocation of wildlife continues to be a major threat to the success of the ORV program," reiterated Lowney. Translocation occurs most often by individuals or groups hoping to supplement existing wildlife populations (how the rabies virus initially was brought to Virginia) and by the capture and release of nuisance or rehabilitated wildlife.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, sans-serif]In Virginia, regulations currently prohibit the translocation of any wildlife species to an area other than the property where it was caught as a means to protect the health of humans, domestic animals, and wildlife. However, the general public sometimes views translocation of wildlife as a humane solution for trapped problem wildlife. "Relocating wildlife can spread disease by transferring infected animals to unaffected areas, thereby increasing the risk of disease for humans," Parkhurst pointed out. In humans, rabies is almost always a fatal disease.[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, sans-serif]In addition to the spread of disease, translocation also increases stress on an animal by forcing it to find new food sources, find new shelter, avoid predators, and defend itself while crossing the territories of other animals. "In many instances, translocation leads to the death of the affected animal and promotes the spread of zoonotic diseases," Lowney added.”[/FONT]
http://psychcentral.com/news/archives/2006-08/vt-mwd080706.html

Back
Top Bottom