Raccoon Problem!

Lolanie

Hatching
Jul 13, 2015
We have a raccoon living near us, and it's now gotten all of six of my chickens over the last week (three babies and three full grown hens). Before I start over again with chicks, any ideas for raccoon-proofing? We have a zip-tie dome for the run with hardware cloth around the bottom to keep out diggers, chicken wire to keep stuff out and chickens in, and the coop attached to the dome (but outside of it). The 'coon was pushing open the bottom of the door in the dome to get in, so we made a more secure door and bungie-locked it closed. The bottom could only pull out one-two inches (if that), so we thought we were safe, and came back from camping to find dead chickens. :(

It's a pretty good size raccoon, so we didn't think it could squeeze through a gap that small, but it's the only place it could have gotten in. There's no sign of digging anywhere around coop or dome, the coop doors were all locked shut (and were still locked after the deed was done), and none of the chicken wire has been pulled apart or destroyed. We caught the raccoon in the coop right after the chicks were killed, and we'd seen it trying to get in before, so we know that that's what got them all.

We have every single predator except bears and coyotes living in the woods behind our house, and we're in the middle of a city so we can't shoot predators. Not that I want to kill them anyway, I just want to keep them out of the coop and run. Should I just go straight to an electric fence and hope our cats don't get hurt on it?

Thanks in advance, guys. I've been lurking since I got my chickies last year, and have gotten so much helpful information! I'm at a loss as to what to do next.

Welcome to BYC. If you are unwilling to dispatch the predator, the electric fence is a viable solution to your problem. Once zapped your cats will not approach the pen again. Good luck with a resolution to this problem.

Thanks! My main concern is that if I dispatch this predator, there are about 100 others waiting to take his place. We have a ridiculous number of predators in our yard in the middle of the city. I can't even imagine how bad it would be if we were rural.

Electric fence it is, then.

If the attacks are during the night inside the coop, I'd concentrate on fortifying my defenses there. Coons can fit through some pretty small holes, so examine and repair ANY holes you may find.

I would strongly recommend dispatching the offending raccoon if at all possible because they are smart and relentless when the find a source of food. I lost 2 chickens to a raccoon attack who came back night after night destroying my corn and trying to find new ways into the coop. The last kill was going through a ventilation area about 7 feet off the ground climbing the wall to get there. I wired it shut with chicken wire only to find him half way inside after having RIPPED the chicken wire open. Fortunately I caught him on a security camera and dispatched him that night. No more raccoon attacks since even though we still have them in the area.

If it were me, I would temporarily leave the point of ingress open and place a baited kill trap inside the coop if the attacks occurred there(if interested, look up "conibear" style traps). Another option for future captures once you chickens again would be dog proof traps that would be safe to use around your cats and other animals.

You may not be able to use electric fencing in city limits; find out before buying! Your coop is totally unsafe and needs a major upgrade before adding more birds. A solid foundation, or a wire skirt to prevent digging, well secured hardware cloth everywhere, and good solid walls, and locks. I live in the country, so trap and shoot is part of security here. Coons are relentless, can't be relocated, and you don't want to trap unless you will kill it. Mary

Back
Top Bottom