Raccoon!!!!

sunket77

Songster
10 Years
May 21, 2009
Texas Hill Country!
I am worried now am afraid to go to bed! I saw a raccoon on the back porch. We have a large covered "run" and it's on the side of the house and porch. We used chicken wire on all the exposed sides and the top. It is completely enclosed. But a man told me that they can chew through chicken wire! I am all out of money this week and can't go by more fencing. I also don't know what to do about the coon outside, I know it knows the chickens are there it was trying to get behind a board on the porch.
I also just moved my 2mo old bantams out there in a section of the run. I am so WORRIED!!!
hit.gif
What do I do? We don't own a gun or have any traps. I have access to traps but not right now. What do I do???
Not to mention the opossum that was also on the porch but he comes and goes for cat food usually doesn't care about the chickens, the cat food is an easier meal.
HELP!!!!
barnie.gif

Coons, can get in most pens. Yes get traps and destroy it., Yes bring them inside for the night, coons hunt mostly at night. If need just place them in a box for the night. inside

There have been cases on BYC of coons and other preds chewing or clawing through chicken wire. The best bet would be bring the birds in, just place them in a kennel or cardboard box for the night.

That would be the only way to insure your birds safety for the night.

-Kim

They survived the night and run looks untouched, I must have scared it off for the night.
ep.gif

Bring in all 14 chickens? The bantys are probably safer than the others since they are double caged. I love all my feather babies and have heard horror stories on what coons do!

honestly, I live pretty far from any water source and thought I would not have to worry about coons. It's VERY dry here and been in the 100's. Now I just don't know what to do. So even if I get chain link to go around the run, it still won't be coon proof? I guess finally figured out what got into my garbage last week.

I have been thinking about getting a dog, but we are not financially stable enough for one just yet. Along with the coon I saw to opossums (I live in the country). So I am thinking getting a guardian would be more effective than trapping something every night. And either having to destroy it or relocate it. I know what can happen in both those cases, another always comes in it's place. I have been a part of a trap/neuter/ release program for cats in my last neighborhood. The purpose of the program is so the population of feral cats do not continue to grow. I feel like if I start trapping a destroying or removing all these critters it will be an endless cycle.

If I trap the one I saw last night (looked like a juvenile) do you think that is the only one, or don't they usually hunt together?

Endless cycle, yes! I've heard of several going out together but maybe those are the younger ones as adults are supposed to occupy a set area. Has to be small welded wire for the racoons not to reach through. Easiest bet is installing a wire fence unless theres a over hang branch over coop. Good luck. Lots of people hear have their own way of dealing with critters, choose in your heart what you think is best. p.s put up ad on craigslist, maybe someone has some extra welded wire who is willing to help you out. offer to do something in return for them, that helps.

Back
Top Bottom