1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raccoons can't jump

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mark, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Mark

Mark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    North Central Texas
    Raccoons can't jump. Below is a link to a cat feeder based on this principle.
    http://www.thewildones.net/raccoons.htm

I suspect there is a way to use this idea. Has anyone seen a hen house built with this in mind

My hens have no trouble flying up to rails 4 feet off the ground.

Mark

2. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Sorry ,I think if a cat can get there, coon can for sure..............

3. A1 Steak Sauce

A1 Steak Sauce Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    My House
    Quote:Ditto.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:Not gracefully like a cat would do! [​IMG]

They will find a way if they are that determined!

5. Flippacase

Flippacase Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2009
    Massachusetts
    I like the idea of the slipery metal......

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Quote:hehehehe or vinyl posts or one of those Vaseline slathered poles. Even the squirrels had a hard time getting into the bird feeder with Vaseline on the post! [​IMG] One squirrel was so determined that he was trying to go at every avenue he can find and above just to get a few sunflower seeds. After two hours trying to get at it, he gave up LOL!

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    It is true that raccoons cannot jump.

However they can climb like you wouldn't believe. If there is ANYthing they can POSSIBLY snag a claw into to get a foothold, they will, and go up and over.

Also, while *raccoons* can't jump, dogs and coyotes and foxes most certainly can, so just making the bottom 3' of a run climbproof is pretty pointless.

It should be possible to make a pretty predatorproof run fence by applying a seamless piece of 2' wide flashing along the top of a 5' fence (so the fence is just mesh up to 3' and then from 3' to 5' has the flashing applied on the outside)... zoos do this sort of thing, although using very expensive clear plastics rather than flashing. HOWEVER it is going to catch one heck of a lot of wind and require a whole new level of strength-in-run-fence, and also be ugly as sin. While not protecting against owls or hawks. So I question the pointfulness. But it could be done in principle, and as long as there is nothing *else* a coon can use to climb up and over (e.g. the coop itself, or trees) it would likely work pretty well.

Pat

8. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Raccoons will study. They've been known to open doors and locks with their little monkey hands. If it is possible, a raccoon will figure it out.

And perhaps it is true that raccoons can't jump...but they can bounce! Make sure there aren't any trampolines nearby...

9. Mark

Mark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2007
    North Central Texas
    Thanks for the comments. Here is what the 'entry' idea looks like, now.
    [​IMG]

10. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    You'd have to make the whole front of the coop out of stainless or some other slick metal, as if it is wood, they WILL climb right up it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by