Raccoons near my coop

Not sure what happend to the OP but if they are still around.......a question. Is the momma coon tree apart from the run area? Can they get to it without dropping to the ground? As in go overhead from tree to tree to drop down where they like?

If so and if they have to come down that one tree to get to the ground and your birds, no trapping or shooting is needed. Put up an electric fence between the tree and your coop. I'd use poultry netting for this. It will keep this mess of coons.........and the future coons that will replace them safely at arm's length and away from your birds. Half the cost of hiring your trapper and it lasts for years.

I live in North East Texas, we have no shortage of coon, opossums, coyotes; fox; bob cats, have seen several cougars over 40-years, but not often, and have had sightings of sahquash. One friend who is a minister claimed he has seen five over 40-years. He never told anyone but me, and wanted to stay anomious, so don't ask? Another 34-year old friend saw one on his farm, he's so scared he won't go deer hunting by himself anymore. When I catch the coons or critters in town, I call the animal control officer for the city. They take them down to the river bottom to turn loose, nine miles away. When I catch them at the farm, it's just one shot to the head, no one will come get them out here, and neighbors don't want them.
I did have a homeless man living in a storage shed behind a neighbors house. He had no oven, nor refigerator. I skinned the coon I had caught earlier, and wrapped it in tin foil and froze it. Next time I saw him, brought him over, and gave it to him. I told him to get a shovel, dig the hole three feet deep, build a fire that evening and reduce it to hot coals. He only had pepper & salt for seasoning, I said that would work. Shovel the coals into the bottom of hole, lay the coon ontop the coals, wrapped heavily in tin foil, then cover the coon with the rest of the sand level to top of hole. Next morning uncover it, and your meal is ready. He told me later that was really tasty, and thanked me. He finally must have moved on, I never have seen again for a couple of years, or he would have received the opossum I caught the other night.

Last edited:
  • Roosterhavoc, Amen to that, I all in with you. My chickens free roam everyday. I did keep them in this morning, heavy downpours, and forecast of tornadoes, and or high winds. They are out now, looks like sun might come out, but 40% chance at 6pm. Chickens go into roost at 7:45pm.

I live in North East Texas, we have no shortage of coon, opossums, coyotes; fox; bob cats, have seen several cougars over 40-years, but not often, and have had sightings of sahquash. One friend who is a minister claimed he has seen five over 40-years.  He never told anyone but me, and wanted to stay anomious, so don't ask? Another 34-year old friend saw one on his farm, he's so scared he won't go deer hunting by himself anymore. When I catch the coons or critters in town, I call the animal control officer for the city.  They take them down to the river bottom to turn loose, nine miles away.  When I catch them at the farm, it's just one shot to the head, no one will come get them out here, and neighbors don't want them.
I did have a homeless man living in a storage shed behind a neighbors house. He had no oven, nor refigerator.  I skinned the coon I had caught earlier, and wrapped it in tin foil and froze it. Next time I saw him, brought him over, and gave it to him. I told him to get a shovel, dig the hole three feet deep, build a fire that evening and reduce it to hot coals. He only had pepper & salt for seasoning, I said that would work. Shovel the coals into the bottom of hole, lay the coon ontop the coals, wrapped heavily in tin foil, then cover the coon with the rest of the sand level to top of hole. Next morning uncover it, and your meal is ready. He told me later that was really tasty, and thanked me.  He finally must have moved on, I never have seen again for a couple of years, or he would have received the opossum I caught the other night.

OMG gross lol but hey, gotta survive!

Back
Top Bottom