Raccoons!

ehoneybee

Songster
6 Years
Apr 22, 2017
Southern Berkshires, MA
Caught 3 of them (1 in the run) last night around 2:30. Thankfully, I heard the chickens since they're just on the other side of the garage and our bedroom window was open. They just stared at me when I shined the flashlight in their eyes :/. I'm including pics of my coops to make sure they're shored up. If the racoons did come back they weren't successful at least. For the grey coop, I plan to screw the nesting box door on the back shut because that latch is silly (pic #2). I also have a latch for the other door that can't be lifted up but maybe I should reinforce that or add another one (pic #1)? The brown coop has a long rod that pushes the coop door closed and is very sticky so I assume an animal couldn't open it. At night, I remove the food and close/latch all the doors, but predators can still dig their way under, however, I've never seen any evidence of that. Predators will always be able to get into the run so I'm just focusing on the coops. Also, should I get an electric fence? How would that work with my set up?

Attachments

• 20190829_080813.jpg
    20190829_080813.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 20190829_080740.jpg
    20190829_080740.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 20190829_080725.jpg
    20190829_080725.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 20
  • 20190829_080944.jpg
    20190829_080944.jpg
    983.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 20190829_080939.jpg
    20190829_080939.jpg
    869.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20190829_080933.jpg
    20190829_080933.jpg
    617.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20190829_080919.jpg
    20190829_080919.jpg
    650.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
also you can get 4 solar powered motion censored lights and put one on each side of the coop, night time predators hate to be seen, as an added layer of protection, the advantage is they don't cost added electricity. Coons are jerks that can dig and climb. one thing I don't see is either concrete or hardware mesh added to keep digging predators out

also you can get 4 solar powered motion censored lights and put one on each side of the coop, night time predators hate to be seen, as an added layer of protection, the advantage is they don't cost added electricity. Coons are jerks that can dig and climb. one thing I don't see is either concrete or hardware mesh added to keep digging predators out
Unfortunately, there might not be enough sun to generate power but I've also read it's not a deterrent? I don't have anything to keep predators out of the run. It is just hawk proof so they can be out safely during the day.

They are fine mine work even in the winter and Idaho don't get much sun during the winter even cloud covered they get enough sun to power them unless you have a major infestation of coons that are constantly out there at night. The motion detected ones seem to work best as it startles them and stays on for a bit then shuts off. you could attach some on the floor of the ones in the pictures they will decimate your flock and problem with coons is they are smart alec's.

They are fine mine work even in the winter and Idaho don't get much sun during the winter even cloud covered they get enough sun to power them unless you have a major infestation of coons that are constantly out there at night. The motion detected ones seem to work best as it startles them and stays on for a bit then shuts off. you could attach some on the floor of the ones in the pictures they will decimate your flock and problem with coons is they are smart alec's.
Does it look like they could get in, though? I'll look into motion lights. Maybe have them facing places they could hide?

Does it look like they could get in, though? I'll look into motion lights. Maybe have them facing places they could hide?
yeah they could easily get in your runs either by digging or opening the latches runs small enough that one facing each direction would be enough they do have a little range for motion detection

yeah they could easily get in your runs either by digging or opening the latches runs small enough that one facing each direction would be enough they do have a little range for motion detection
I know the run isn't secure but I'm more worried about the coops being predator proof. The run is just to protect from hawks.

well if a racoon is interested enough to be getting in close to them they will eventually get your eggs and or chickens, they are a pest animal and best be dealt with, my friend lost 8 hens and almost the rooster who was trying to protect against them they are actually pretty smart. if your not comfortable dealing with ridding them as a thr4eat to your flock check if theres any trappers interested in their furs that will come get rid of them would be my advice.

well if a racoon is interested enough to be getting in close to them they will eventually get your eggs and or chickens, they are a pest animal and best be dealt with, my friend lost 8 hens and almost the rooster who was trying to protect against them they are actually pretty smart. if your not comfortable dealing with ridding them as a thr4eat to your flock check if theres any trappers interested in their furs that will come get rid of them would be my advice.
That's true. I'm letting them get dangerously close to my chickens by letting them get in the run.

Back
Top Bottom