Raccoons?

Quote:
My Pyr/anatolin cross has eaten 1 guinea and one chicken so far. She is not let around the birds normally. The Guinea she ate was the night the others were eaten. TOTALLY my fault. I swept the yard and missed one by my car and she chased it . She gave it up very easy and killed it quick at least.

The chicken.... someone decided it was a good idea to poen my gates and let my goats and their dog out while my birds were out. Gerrrrr

I guess I should count myself pretty lucky. She only ate one and left the rest of the flock alone. I'm not sure how to break her of it though. I read her the riot act over the guinea. When she finally dug the chicken out of the snow where she hid it I took it away from her and read her the riot act again. She HATES to be yelled at. She will lay down and roll over when she knows I am mad.

Other than that she is an awesome dog. At only a year old she lets the goat kids use her as a mountain and helps me herd them where I need them.

Since then the guineas decided the tree was not good for their survival and go up with the chickens on their own. I have been leaving the dog out and I think she is chasing off anything else that thought it might come for a snack. So far so good.

If you leave a radio on by the coop/where the guineas roost, the sound of human voices will keep the predators away, and it doesn't bother the birds at all!

This was probably an Owl due to it happening at night when some of my Guineas decided the trees looked better then the Coop for a couple nights. The survivors now go up in the coop at night.

36435_guineakill.jpg

Quote:
Our "owl" must have been a less messy eater then. Their feathers didn't seem ruffled at all.

Not a lot I can do if it is an owl. Keeping the LGD out where she can bark at anything that moves and the guineas deciding the coop was a better option has helped 100%
thumbsup.gif

Very informative thread I must say. I didnt realize Owls would take a Guinea or a chicken for that matter. More reason to get them into the coop at night.
pop.gif
I am learning so much here. I had Guineas and Chickens for four years before. Its been about four years since I lost my last one. I love this site...
love.gif

perchie.girl :

Very informative thread I must say. I didnt realize Owls would take a Guinea or a chicken for that matter. More reason to get them into the coop at night.
pop.gif
I am learning so much here. I had Guineas and Chickens for four years before. Its been about four years since I lost my last one. I love this site...
love.gif

WAY off topic, but I noticed in your sig you were 2 miles from the boarder. I spent MANY summers in Imperial Beach at my grandmother's. Lovely area! I wish I could bottle some of that weather and bring it here!
ep.gif

Quote:
WAY off topic, but I noticed in your sig you were 2 miles from the boarder. I spent MANY summers in Imperial Beach at my grandmother's. Lovely area! I wish I could bottle some of that weather and bring it here!
ep.gif

big_smile.png
follow the border toward Arizona about sixty miles... Thats where I am at about 3000 feet in a teeny corner of the Sonoran Deasert. IB is very nice place for sure. Thats where the Navy Seals train. Been here in San Diego County since 1967. LOL weve been at 70 degrees for the past couple of days today well peak at about 75-80 here in town. Up at the house it will be a bit cooler still.

Back
Top Bottom