Rachet Pipe cutter instead of axe?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by HallFamilyFarm, Nov 23, 2010.

1. HallFamilyFarm

HallFamilyFarm PA ETL#195

Jan 25, 2010
    Collins, Arkansas
    Has anyone used a Rachet Pipe cutter instead of axe to slaughter turkeys etc?

They are very sharp and cut through the hardest PVC pipe in seconds. Was also thinking of making a killing cone out of a 5 gallon bucket. Any thoughts?

Note: I know some may disagree with the very thought of killing a pet, but this fellow was raised for Thankdgiving and he will not get a pardon!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  2. lcoil79

lcoil79 New Egg

Jun 11, 2010
    If it can go through in one quick fluid motion, sure you can use it.

I however would worry about feeling things crunching and getting hesitant halfway through the cut proloning the act and potentially becoming cruel. Personally I'd stick with a good sharp axe or machete. In fact the machete and a good swing will probably work best with a cone.

3. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

I think it is too slow. Quick slice of the jugular would be less painful and traumatic.

4. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    I use two and a half inch fisker tree cutters , place the bird between my knees and cut just behind the head,works very well and they don't get dull, i did 170 birds in the last month and still cut tree limbs with them.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2010
  5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Not trying to be creepy but think of this. Your finger in the PVC cutter or your finger on a chopping block with a heavy axe. If I have to loose a finger or a head I'll take plan B myself.

Steve

6. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I know people who use those, stick them in the killing cone and cut off the head instead of slitting the throat.

7. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

If you want to use killing cones and don't want to slit the jugular then I can see a pair of pruning shears or something similar that is fast. I've used pipe cutters before (not for cutting off heads, for cuttiing pipe) and I think there are faster ways of doing the deed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by