Racoon Attack...Help Please.UPDATE???More help needed....!!!!

xfilesnumber1fan

Songster
11 Years
Nov 24, 2008
Missouri
My friend had a racoon attack she believes it was a racoon..The wing was pulled through a fence and torn off..Mostly feathers I believe the wing bone is ok just skinned..She was going to put him down but I took him to try and heal him..I wish I had a pic he has been through so much with the attack and moving in my basement alone..He has drank and eat alittle I have the blue lotion stuff I got from TSC and last night I put neosporin on it..Is there anything else I can do?? He is a mallard 3 months male..I know it has to hurt but he is walking around just dont want you to touch it or him for that matter..Doea this sound like a racoon ??? Could it try to pull a duck through a chain link fence with such force to tear the wing like that..???Thanks for any help to save him...

Last edited:
Definately sounds like a coon attack. Don't be afraid to clean the area well - infection is the enemy, especially with a wild animal bite. Betadine solution (with water to the color of light amber) should be used at least twice/day, followed by a thin application of Neosporin. Any necrotic (dead/smelly) tissue needs to be removed. You can't hurt it worse than that coon did! Try to get someone to help hold while you flush/clean the wounds. If you can nip the infection in the bud, the duck should be just fine. Good luck!

My friend just called she set a few traps out after the attack..What she just caught is a oppusum..I went and seen it..Its isnt big looks like a baby COULD A OPPUSUM have done the attack?? Wheres theres a baby theres a big MOMMY!!???

Last edited:
yup, there'll be a mamma close at hand..... but I still think there is a coon problem, and only just found out that possums have been circling the wagons too......

Get that Popeye's buffet off the menu, and keep on trapping
smile.png

I had 2 hens mauled by a raccoon and both of them were in such bad shape I didn't think there was any way they'd make it but they did and are living happy healthy lives today.
I was told to get iodine (the dark brown kind-the name escapes me but it was like $14 a bottle) and I put it on them by diluting it, dipping a clean rag in it and squeezing it onto their wounds.

Back
Top Bottom