Racoon or skunk stealing food and scaring my chickens

Tiffy316

Songster
Mar 30, 2019
For the last few days, I've seen the barrel that I keep the scratch grain in with the lid off, and scratch grain on top of the chick food lid. Something has been getting into it. I put an old cinder block on the lid a couple of days ago. The next day, I found an old grain barrel that hasn't been used in years laying sideways on the ground. A bucket with a tight locking lid, that used to hold chick starter, was also tipped over, with the lid removed. Both of those barrels were empy before they were tipped though.

I think that a skunk or racoon is trying to steal the chicken food. Thst same creature may also ve responsible for the loss of a young chicken a couple of weeks ago, who was attacked and died shortly afterwards. My other 2 chickens typically sleep in the trough, but last night, I found them sleeping on top of the old rabbit cage that I keep on front of the barn door to help deter predators.

It's a bit unusual for them, so I think that they might be scared by whatever is trying to steal the chicken food. If it's a racoon, it could attack my chickens if it can't get to their grain. What can I do to keep whatever it is out of my chicken coop and away from their food.

My chickens are in the indoor part of the barn, bc the outdoor part needs some work. They don't go outside. I put a cinder block on the food lid, and a cinder block in front of the door to keep predators from getting inside. There are some gaps in the roof, but this is a barn roof, so its pretty high up. There is a window with screen over it, but it has a few small holes that need patching.

Oh, dear. Sounds like a raccoon to me. That is bad news...

Is there a way you can house them inside a more secure building/coop/something similar at night?

They're in the indoor part of the barn. I put a cinder block in front of the door and on top of the food barrel to keep it out. What else can I do? Is there a way to trap it or get rid of it?

I had the same issue with coons coming into the barn to steal the cat food. Originally, it was kept in Rubbermaid trash can. They destroyed that, so it was replaced by bigger plastic trash can, and they destroyed that. So it was replaced by 30 gallon metal trash can, with metal lid being held in place by metal screen door spring, that runs from can handle, under lid handle to can handle. They have not defeated that.

They did try to tip it over a few times until I rigged an electric fencer to the metal can. A few nights of that and they now leave it alone. Got a funny video of Mr. Big getting zapped.

They are smart and determined.......but so are we. They can be defeated.

Repelling pellets
I like poets. I had a mental image of a raccoon-free poetry slam.

I took my family camping years ago, and our camp kept getting visited by skunks. The kids figured out that if they played Paris Hilton's one song, the skunks stayed away. They tried other songs, but only Paris Hilton was the true skunk repellent.
:gig

Back
Top Bottom