Racoon Proof

One of the first predators I saw when I moved into the current property was a weasel. I haven't seen one since, but I'm sure it's still lurking about. It's better to go to the expense of predator proofing your coop and run, then suffer losses because were trying to cut costs. Just a suggestion, but putting a spring on your run door so it closes behind you automatically is helpful in keeping the chickens in. Best of luck with your flock.
I have same prob spotted recently

I'm in eastern VA. Apparently we don't have weasles this far east in the state. An article I read said one had been "sighted" in Caroline county, which is nearby. Mink we do have, but I have never seen one.
We are in east central KY, and we have quite a few minks and weasels although they aren’t often seen. I’ve seen one weasel and three minks and n recent memory. The weasel ran out of the chicken coop as I went in about dark one night. Plugged up the hole it went through and haven’t seen it since. Two minks were killed on the road in front of our house a few years back within a week of each other. I figured they were coming to try to get our chickens. Just because it’s said that there isn’t a particular species of animal in an area doesn’t mean it’s accurate. For years it was said there were no venomous snakes in our area, yet they were in all other counties in the state, now it’s acknowledged that copperheads are found throughout the state. Black bears were only supposed to be an occasional male wandering into our county, and no resident bears yet for several years there have been trail camera videos of sows and cubs and several sightings and encounters by our neighbors and here on this farm. I think it is now quietly acknowledged about their presence as our county is now included in a bear hunting zone.

Yes that will work. I use two of them on my run entrance door, one high and one low, for extra protection. My coop and run are open 24/7. I have a regular door knob on the coop door.

View attachment 2171073
We have a string attached to unlock it. Drill a hole put the string thru the hole into the inside of the coop and tie a washer on it. Never be locked in again.

Back
Top Bottom