radiant flat panel coop heater experience?

RasMama

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 14, 2009
Spokane, WA
http://www.shopthecoop.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=STC&Product_Code=2FP&Category_Code=He

I
just ordered this and am wondering if anybody has any experience with them (or something like it). I searched through the previous posts, but unless I overlooked something the last discussion of them was 2007ish. I have a (roughly) 4x6 coop for 7 hens, but some of them are molting now and pretty bare in some areas, so I wanted to provide some extra warmth this winter (I haven't needed to in winters past). I'm thinking I'll attach it to the roof, which is at an angle (from roughly 4' at the high end (where the perch is) to about 2' on the low side), so that it's near but not right over top of their perch (if it were right over the perch I think it might be too close to them). I'm terrified to try and do any kind of light heat source, since it's such a small coop that is already filled with birds and shavings, just asking for an accident. I really hope this works. I got the thermostatically controlled outlet as well, so it'll go on at 35 and off at 45.

I've never come across this company before, or seen these types of heaters and bulbs, but I marked it as a Favorite and will be going back. Looks interesting, I'm not sure if I'm going to heat the coop or not but if I do, I like this. Tks.

I used one last winter in our 10X14 coop and loved it! It seems very safe. I mounted it on the wall behind a perch on an outside wall. It's far enough away from the perch that they don't touch it, but if they did, it wouldn't burn them or anything. It doesn't seem to get that hot.
Heat rises, so I'm not sure if mounting on the ceiling would help as much, but I'm no expert!

I found mine at Fleet farm, a tractor supply store in my area. They sell for 39 dollars at FF for a 20X30 (I'm guessing) sized panel.

We added on to our coop, so I'll be getting 2 more this year. I have the coop divided into 3 sections now.

I think you're smart to stay away from the heat lamps!

Oh my gosh! I just clicked on your link, I had no idea they varied so much in price!
I assumed they were all around 40 bucks! Is it a brand thing?

I have no idea?! The link you put is so much cheaper!! It's a way higher wattage as well, the one I order is 250 watts, this one is 650. I have to investigate this more... I see a possible return in my future
hmm.png

although in thinking about it a little more, the 400 watt one on Shopthecoop says it will heat 75 square feet, I imagine a 650 watt one would heat significantly more space. My coop is only 28 square feet, if you include the nest boxes that extend out. 650 watts would probably be way too much heat for my little area (the 150 watt one says it will heat a 4x4 coop). I'll still look around for another 250ish watt one that's more in the FleetFarm price range... or maybe I just need a bigger coop for that nice cheap heater, you know, offset the price
wink.png

I just put one in my coop, was wondering if one was enough? The coop is 4x8 with 7 hens. It’s the 200 watt panel.

I got one a few weeks ago and I love it, but since it’s small and I have 6 chickens I may end up getting another one:

Cozy Products Safe Chicken Coop Pet Heater 200W Flat Panel

I got it from amazon. Like many others, I was very worried about heating the coop due to fire hazard, but this specific product is zero clearance, meaning it can touch wood shavings, hay, etc without danger of fire. It was 2 degrees last night and the coop got down to 12. It’s not designed to heat the whole coop, which is what I was looking for. I have it mounted on the wall directly across from the night roost, maybe 10 inches or so from the roost itself. About 3 birds can fit directly in front of it. Even if they were touching it, it’s not so hot it would burn them. It shouldn’t be placed on a ceiling, but on the floor or mounted on a wall. It wouldn’t do any good to place it above the chickens, since it only radiates heat to whatever is close in front of it. Mine is thermostatically controlled as well.

I have used this product for about 2 weeks now as needed, and give it 2 thumbs up. Just wish it came in a bigger size too.

Ps- I monitor the temp and humidity in the coop, and this heater does not raise humidity at all.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom