radical drop in egg production?

Chick-N-Antics

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 31, 2008
Olivet, MI USA
I have a question in the last few days our hens have seriously reduced the number of eggs being produced daily, from around 7 a day to just two or three a day is this a normal behavior? Here is all the information about them.
We have 10 hens (3 buff o's, 2 barred rocks, 2 silver leghorns, 2 ameraurucauns (sp? easter eggers) and 1 road island red) we live in michigan, during the winter we got an average of 6 or 7 eggs a day, last fall when they started laying (before winter set in) we were getting about 10-11 eggs a day (although we did have one extra girl then as well, she died during the winter). Our girls are just shy of a year old. in the last few days the weather has finally broke going from frezing temps to anywhere from the 50 to low 70s. any thoughts or ideas will be most welcome thank you

Are they around 8 months old. I heard they go through a first molt around that time. Mine did the same thing...and they are losing a lot of feathers. I see tons laying around the coop floor. I wouldn't worry...they will start up again soon I'm willing to bet. Good luck!

Well, after watching them closely, all we can come up with is that they must have had serious cabin fever. After a few days they were back in their boxes laying those eggs! Thanks guys for your info, at least we know what to look for if they do this again.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom