Ragged individual feathers?

Nov 5, 2018
Birmingham UK
I've noticed that my lavender Barbu d'Anvers hen, who is almost two years old, has frayed and ragged looking feathers all around her torso. Her head and tail are less affected. The individual feathers are frayed and somewhat dirty looking but she is not missing feathers. She had quite a hard moult earlier this year and i believe her feathers did not look like this, or at least not as bad, before the moult.

What could be the cause? She is the only one affected in my flock of 8 which includes one rooster. They free range during daylight hours in my spacious unkempt yard and are fed 19% protein grower pellets with oyster shell on the side plus occasional treats.

She is quite low on the pecking order so there is a chance the others are damaging her feathers but it doesn't look like that kind of issue to me. She is currently laying but has always been a poor layer, producing about one or two weeks per week. She has only gone broody once, which is unusual for a belgian bantam, and she also had a spate of crowing on and off for while last winter and spring.

Please ignore pinkish stains under her beak in the one photo, she has been eating blackberries from the bushes.

Attachments

• 20190908_185837.jpg
    20190908_185837.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 20190908_185848.jpg
    20190908_185848.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Oh wow, I've never heard of this before! I got her from some hatching eggs from ebay that were supposed to be black and white cuckoo. Her brother was black and white but she hatched out lavender. It's good to know there's nothing wrong with her, just genetic traits.

Back
Top Bottom