Rain, 36 deg. & they won't go in the coop!

prairiepearls

Songster
12 Years
Jan 2, 2010
Santa Fe, NM
OK, all summer, when it rained, they stayed outside & got wet, but I didn't worry because they weren't cold. Today it's 36 degrees, raining, & they STILL won't go in the nice dry coop where they roost at night and lay their eggs. I've only got 3 hens, and the coop is plenty big enough (4' x 6' x 4' high). I finally lured them into the kitchen with some treats, and they're drying out and preening. Should I carry them to the coop and shut them in like I do at night?? I just don't see how it can be good for them to get soaked in these temperatures (this will be my first winter with chickens). Are they really THAT stupid? Or are they actually OK?! PLEASE ADVISE!!

Quote:
They are just fine:) They have good sense about what they need. Do not coddle them, because if you do, they will not be able to take good care of themselves.

Hello, Chickens do not really like getting wet. Usually they will find a shelter and stay put. They don't want to make their way back to the coop in fear of getting wet so they stay still. If you have a dry coop, don't let them out if it's raining and cold. I keep my chickens in the coop which has a fully-covered roof so they can hang out outside of the house or go in at will. I would take them back to the coop and leave them inside so they wont get wet or cold. They can withstand very cold temps as long as they are able to go inside when they want to. Never let them free-range out in the yard in the cold.....if they don't have a covered shelter to hide under.
But it sounds to me that they wondered away from the coop so they are "stranded" so to speak......make sense ? Please reply.....Ray
Chickens are very smart and will find a way to "escape" the coop but don't know how to get back to the warmth once they're out..........

Last edited:
Well, I let them dry off in the kitchen for a while and then let them back out. The rain had let up by then, so they didn't get all wet again.

I swear, this is like having a new baby for the first time -- I need experienced "moms" to tell me they're going to be OK. ;-)

I would leave them to their own devices. I frankly think that bringing them in the house getting them very warm and then back outside is begging for a respiritory issue. I have some very old books on poultry management and they all recommend less as opposed to more in terms of warming birds up. Proper ventilation is the key to good bird health.

Darn, no one told my 25 chickens that they do not like the rain! It was coming down all day yesterday & they were outside much of the time. They were soaked when they went to bed last night, but amazingly they were all alive in the morning. Unless it's blowing snow, I never keep my door closed. They go out if they want to. These birds are not stupid.

Mine love the cold rain and snow! Unless it's a blizzard they are always outdoors in the runs.

So, even if they get all wet and it's really cold & windy, that's OK? Mine never spend any time in the coop unless they're laying or it's night. I guess I'll have to wait & see what they do when it gets truly wintry here. (confidence, girl, confidence; remember, chickens have survived for 1000s of years...) Thanks, everybody, for the words of assurance!

I think mine are outside MORE when it's raining or snowing!! It use to drive me nuts at first because I'm a worrier but they do just fine. They aren't as stupid as someone suggested in here. They know where to go to get out of the cold if they really want to so long as they have access to it.

Back
Top Bottom