rain and chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by blumatablo, Nov 19, 2012.

1. blumatablo

blumatablo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2012
    my chickens are silly enough to hang out in the pouring rain and they won't go in the coop. Is rain bad for chickens? As in they will be extremely cold.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Chickens do this. I wouldn't worry as long as they have access to a dry place if they want it. Mine sometimes get pretty soaked looking before they go in, if they do. There is an oil coating on their feathers that makes the water run off, to a point.

3. Chicken Steve

Chicken Steve Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    They love the rain, mud puddles, anything wet it seems, like a bunch of children playing in the rain.[​IMG]

4. frostbite

frostbite Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    I don't have to worry about the rain. It won't rain here for at least 7 months.

If it's really pouring down, mine seek shelter under the coop, or under the ramp, or under a plastic picnic tablecloth that I've got spread out over last year's Christmas tree in their run. But plain old rain they don't seem to mind too much.

5. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    If rain and chickens didn't go together, then I couldn't have any chickens. We have been having record setting rain storms where I live. I have a partially covered run, and my girls do like it, but they can manage without cover too. the chicken breeds with feathered feet, and Silkies seem to look better if they have a covered area. But a lot of chickens son't seem to notice rain.

6. mickey328

mickey328 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    You only have to worry if you have woolly chickens...they'll shrink [​IMG]

7. Chicken Steve

Chicken Steve Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2012
    Yup it rained all day and I kept looking outside watching and there they were in the rain digging and going about their business.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by