rain and chickens

blumatablo

In the Brooder
7 Years
Aug 1, 2012
my chickens are silly enough to hang out in the pouring rain and they won't go in the coop. Is rain bad for chickens? As in they will be extremely cold.

Chickens do this. I wouldn't worry as long as they have access to a dry place if they want it. Mine sometimes get pretty soaked looking before they go in, if they do. There is an oil coating on their feathers that makes the water run off, to a point.

They love the rain, mud puddles, anything wet it seems, like a bunch of children playing in the rain.
D.gif

I don't have to worry about the rain. It won't rain here for at least 7 months.

If it's really pouring down, mine seek shelter under the coop, or under the ramp, or under a plastic picnic tablecloth that I've got spread out over last year's Christmas tree in their run. But plain old rain they don't seem to mind too much.

If rain and chickens didn't go together, then I couldn't have any chickens. We have been having record setting rain storms where I live. I have a partially covered run, and my girls do like it, but they can manage without cover too. the chicken breeds with feathered feet, and Silkies seem to look better if they have a covered area. But a lot of chickens son't seem to notice rain.

Yup it rained all day and I kept looking outside watching and there they were in the rain digging and going about their business.

Back
Top Bottom