Rain and chickens??

DarleneE

Songster
9 Years
Feb 9, 2014
Riverview, Fla
We just put our two chickens in their new coop today. However, it's supposed to be a thunderstorm all day tomorrow and though the coop is in our screen enclosed lanai, I'm worried that some rain may splash some into their coop. They have the roost/henhouse they can get in for protection, I'm just not sure they'll stay inside it. Will it harm them to get a little wet?? I think I had read somewhere that you're supposed to dry them if they get wet..??.. which sounds kinda crazy to me as what do all these chickens that live in outdoor coops do when it rains?? Sorry for the stupid question but I'm sincerely worried??!! Thank you!!

They will be just fine, don't worry
smile.png
Enjoy your chickens.

We live in Portland Oregon...a VERY rainy area, especially this time of the year. I have 13 hens that COULD go into their coop when it rains, but most of the time, they will actually stay out in it until they are more than soaking and pathetic looking, and they don't seem to be uncomfortable. There are many places they can go that are dry in our yard, but they hardly ever head for them when it rains. I think you don't have to worry about them getting wet. (Sometimes in the winter when it is close to freeing overnight and it has been raining all day, I will put a heat lamp in their coop to help them dry and stay warm, but this time of year it isn't necessary as long as some part of the coop is dry.) Usually, the only time I'll see them under their coop, or in our compost enclosure, is when it begins raining really hard. But as soon as it lets up a bit, they head right back out. :)

It's only a problem if they're wet when it gets below freezing.

We had a thunderstorm come through just the other day. Mine were out in most of it until it came down real hard. The water just rolled off of them though (I don't ever bathe mine so they keep all of their natural oils on their feathers). I don't think the water ever got to their skin.

It's only a problem if they're wet when it gets below freezing.

We had a thunderstorm come through just the other day. Mine were out in most of it until it came down real hard. The water just rolled off of them though (I don't ever bathe mine so they keep all of their natural oils on their feathers). I don't think the water ever got to their skin.
This is a good point folks often forget. Those feathers aren't as water resistant as say a duck's, but they do protect the skin a lot. Most birds can look pretty wet, but if you wiggle your finger down next to the skin, it's nice and dry.

This actually goes for a lot of animals--my dogs can look drenched, but their skin is dry. Horses, cats, etc are the same.

This is a good point folks often forget. Those feathers aren't as water resistant as say a duck's, but they do protect the skin a lot. Most birds can look pretty wet, but if you wiggle your finger down next to the skin, it's nice and dry.

This actually goes for a lot of animals--my dogs can look drenched, but their skin is dry. Horses, cats, etc are the same.

People bathe their animals way too much. My dogs don't have itchy skin because I don't bathe them all of the time. When I had horses, I was often complimented on how great their coats looked. People always wanted to know what fly spray I used as well because they didn't have so many flies like the others. All I did was hose them off if they got salt deposits from sweat or muddy. I never used soap. People get horrified by that, but they aren't horrified by some of the chemicals they put on them to do what that their natural oils already do. Animals have spent thousands of years developing mechanisms so why screw with it? Just because they smell like vanilla mango breeze, doesn't mean they're healthy or taken care of.

Last edited:
People bathe their animals way too much. My dogs don't have itchy skin because I don't bathe them all of the time. When I had horses, I was often complimented on how great their coats looked. People always wanted to know what fly spray I used as well because they didn't have so many flies like the others. All I did was hose them off if they got salt deposits from sweat or muddy. I never used soap. People get horrified by that, but they aren't horrified by some of the chemicals they put on them to do what that their natural oils already do. Animals have spent thousands of years developing mechanisms so why screw with it? Just because they smell like vanilla mango breeze, doesn't mean they're healthy or taken care of.

this sounds like someone who hasn't tried the new kiwi lime apple blossom gel.

j/k... i couldn't agree more.

Back
Top Bottom