Rain Barrels for Drinking Water

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by missmarielayne, Jul 14, 2017.

1. missmarielayne

missmarielayne Just Hatched

May 31, 2016
    We started using a rain barrel as a water source for our chickens. We have it attached to a gutter on our chicken coop and it runs off of a corrugated steel roof. I read that Apple Cider Vinegar is a good way to keep algae and bacteria down but I'm just not sure how much to put in the barrel or if there is such thing as too much ACV. I noticed the water in the barrel is starting to have an unpleasant smell so I'm worried it's too contaminated to feed to the chickens. Does anyone add ACV to the water feeder as well? If so, what proportions are best to use? Any advice on using rain barrels as drinking water for chickens would be helpful!

2. NorthTexasWink

NorthTexasWink Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2017
    Arlington, Texas
    You cannot use ACV if the water is in contact with any metal, including storage containers or waterers. It leaches metals and bad chemicals into the water and corrodes the metal.

As for dosing, the folks who use it can advise best. If you use the search feature here you will find many threads about it full of information. Best of luck!

BYChickenAl likes this.
  3. BYChickenAl

BYChickenAl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2017
    Troy, IL USA
    Using a rain barrel is situational and other than a vitamin supplement mix, I'm hesitant to add anything to their drinking water.

Since you have algae build-up, the barrel doesn't get fully drained and replenished and gets stagnant. If it's an open-top barrel, it's subject to getting all kinds of contaminants. I wouldn't want my chickens drinking that. A smaller closed top barrel/bucket, that doesn't allow sunlight would help cut down on the algae. Routine rinsing and cleaning is still necessary but I consider that normal work. Just my opinion...and I really enjoy reading the inputs of others more experienced than myself.

NorthTexasWink likes this.
  4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

A tablespoon full of unscented chlorine bleach to every 5 gallons of water is the recommendation for long term storage of potable drinking water. But then again chlorine is so important to the health and well being of chickens that they can actually make their own chlorine.

NorthTexasWink and Bluechick2u like this.
  5. NorthTexasWink

NorthTexasWink Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2017
    Arlington, Texas
    In the old days, we added bluing to our horse and cattle troughs to control algae. Even used it in the rinse water for my collie when his white chest and ruff were stained from the red mud. And once added too much, resulting in a baby blue bib on my poor dog, but I digress. It's old fashioned whitening liquid for laundry. I know it's still sold, as I saw it recently, just can't remember where. It takes very little to do the trick, we just judged amount by color of the water. Should be the color of the Mediterranean.

Leighe likes this.
  6. GC-Raptor

GC-Raptor Overrun With Chickens

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I've never been to the Mediterranean, can you send me a round trip ticket, Please. GC

7. GC-Raptor

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    Just so I can see the color, not to enjoy myself. GC

Leighe and NorthTexasWink like this.
  8. AnnieSantiago

AnnieSantiago Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2014
    Portland, Oregon
    :confused:
    Well, this is news to me!
    I've been putting about a teaspoon of ACV in my chooks' metal water container. I guess I'd better stop?

9. GC-Raptor

Jul 26, 2016
    Connecticut, U.S.A.
    I hear yeah. I used to clean my galvanized waterer with white vinegar. By the second time it turned the galvanized dull. And I was just cleaning with it. GC

10. imnukensc

imnukensc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2017
    SC Midlands
    There are several companies that make blue dyes for controlling algae growth in ponds, etc. Might be able to use plain old blue food coloring to do the same thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by