Rain collecting system filtering?

Chickenmom37

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2020
First time chicken mom, have chicks now. I am trying to find sustainable ways to raise my chicken, I have came across the rain water collection method. I was wondering has anyone used moss to clean and filter the water ? Would I change the ph of the drinking water and not be beneficial to the chickens? Any thought? Or ideas?
I've seen people use bleach but Id like to be natural! I've also seen putting goldfish in the water but is that beneficial?

First time chicken mom, have chicks now. I am trying to find sustainable ways to raise my chicken, I have came across the rain water collection method. I was wondering has anyone used moss to clean and filter the water ? Would I change the ph of the drinking water and not be beneficial to the chickens? Any thought? Or ideas?
I've seen people use bleach but Id like to be natural! I've also seen putting goldfish in the water but is that beneficial?

Putting any Fish in the water is a bad idea as fish excrete ammonia into the water, which changes the pH and contaminates it over time.

Best things to do is to build a simple Rainwater Filter System that uses Natural Filtration. The principle remains the same regardless of how big or small you build it.

1. 2 Vessels both equal in height but V2 wider in circumference or area than V1

2. Feed incoming water into Vessel 1 (V1) and designate V2 the offtake water source

3. Link the 2 with an equalizing pipe of not less than 40mm (preferably a Union fitting at each Vessel outlet/inlet for later disconnection and maintenance) at the bottom of both (water flow is downwards in V1 and upwards in V2). Fill the 40mm pipe with any coarse filter netting or coarse stone to maintain the pipes clear . Servicing Warning - when you notice spillover from V1 with very slow filling of V2 : sign that the sand and equalizing pipe is clogging).

4. Install a single Shut Off Valve in the section between the 2 Vessels (so that one can be isolated from the other for maintenance/repair without losing all the water)

4. Fill both V1 and V2 with a layer of coarse riversand or small pebbles to a minimum height of 1/3 (acts as a sediment and particles trap as the water passes down and out of V1 and up and into V2. Friendly Bacteria will also propagate in the Sand and cleanse the water)

5. Place Water Plants into V2 (soak up any microscopic nutrient in the water to help balance pH to a more neutral level)

6. Tap water off of V2

If you need more info you are welcome to pm me.

Last edited by a moderator:
To hold the sediment where it belongs, screen incoming rainwater at the bottom of your tank, allow the residual sediment time to settle, stop disturbing it, and do not draw water from the bottom of the tank. Using a floating filter that collects water from the center of the tank, leaving the sediment undisturbed.

Back
Top Bottom