Rain proofing the run

DarkWillow

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2022
Central MN
HI! This is my first attempt at raising chickens and learning as I go. I am looking for some creative ways to rain proof our existing run without breaking the bank or my back. We have a dome structure which is supported by PVC, 2x4's and wire fencing. I put shade cloth up to filter out the direct sunlight but now we are approaching the rainy/snow season in MN and I am concerned we don't have adequate cover to keep the girls dry.

My thought was to tarp the top during the fall/winter but my husband is telling me the current structure won't support a load of snow.

Any tips or ideas are greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

• coop 1.jpg
    coop 1.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 42
  • coop 2.jpg
    coop 2.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 17
one question that will help is, how often are you at the chicken coop?

A tarp would work, but obviously not for any serious accumulations. BUT, you might apply something to the tarp to help the snow fall off. Some Pam or Rain-x. And if your out there often enough, a tarp is pretty easy to shake off snow as it falls.

one question that will help is, how often are you at the chicken coop?

A tarp would work, but obviously not for any serious accumulations. BUT, you might apply something to the tarp to help the snow fall off. Some Pam or Rain-x. And if your out there often enough, a tarp is pretty easy to shake off snow as it falls.
I am out at the run at least 1-2 times daily if not more. I didn't know about the Rain-X or Pam! Thanks!!

My thought was to tarp the top during the fall/winter but my husband is telling me the current structure won't support a load of snow.
You'll need to bolster the run roof framing to hold snow.
Better yet, build a solid roof with good big overhangs.
Do not count on 'tarp oiler' to shed the snow in a climate that can dump feet of snow overnight when you're not around to 'shake it off'.

Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1660136933519.png

The pictures are too small to see, but if there is wire on the roof you're going to need to beef up the structure to take the snow load anyway.

Yes, I'm in NC where 2" of snow is a major disaster now, but I grew up in western PA and spend 10 years on MA so I am aware of how a heavy, wet snow will build up on wire that a dry powder snow would pass through.

Back
Top Bottom