Rain Water Barrel Collector

I read somewhere that asphalt shingles can pose a danger if the water is given to plants that are going to be eaten. Is this true?

My roof is 4 years old, it has asphalt shingles. I've used the rain water for watering approx 15 new trees I planted and have had no problems. I'm no tree/water expert but I believe if anything was in the water that the ground would filter it out.

I'm pretty sure the water that comes off your shingles goes into the ground already anyway. Also sometimes cows will chew on pieces of roofing shingles if they have a mineral deficiency. I really don't think your roof is all that dangerous for watering your plants. The rain itself probably has more junk in it from falling through the air pollutants.

The March/April 2009 edition of Hobby Farms magazine has the plans you're looking for with complete directions & pics. The article starts on page 94.
smile.png

someone here said rainbarrels are illegal here in Colorado--yes, it's sad, but true....if anyone knows the answer, please share it...why can the DOW (Division of Wildlife) authorize people to put up these lovely little things called "guzzlers" out in the fields for the wildlife, if I can't have a simple rainbarrel for use when there isn't enough rain?
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom