1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rain

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by KrisCVT, Dec 17, 2015.

1. KrisCVT

KrisCVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2015
    MA
    I hate when my chickens hang out in the rain. Sure, I could have left them locked up this morning. But they were all throwing temper tantrums and I always worry about my neighbors getting annoyed (I forgot how LOUD female ducks are). I figured the ducks would stay out foraging and the chooks would stay inside, nice and warm. Nope, all 5 hens are out with the ducks. Nothing keeps them inside except heavy rain. It's been drizzling all morning and it's 45 degrees.

I hate it.

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Chickens will be chickens im afraid - who knows, maybe the drowned rat look is cool in the chicken world?

I think most chickens do the same.

Ct

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Chickens love the rain, because it make the bugs and worms easier to catch. Light rain won't hurt them and yours have proven they know heavy rain is to be avoided.

4. GodofPecking

GodofPecking Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2015
    There are two types of chickens and you can only let one kind out in the rain.

There are the ones descended from chickens on a planet where it rains, those ones are waterproof, and there are the ones from that other planet. No, seriously, don't worry ! It's usually the closest they'll get to taking bath anyway.

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Chickens know more about being a chicken than we will ever know. I would not lock chickens out of the coop, but if they have access to a dry spot, and are choosing to be out in the rain, then they are not suffering and not endangering themselves. The survival instinct is pretty strong in all animals. Offer them the choice of shelter or out doors, and don't worry.

Mrs K

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by