1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Rain

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Jill102, Nov 11, 2009.

1. Jill102

Jill102 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2009
    Please forgive me, I am brand new to the world of ducks so this is likely a silly question. I have two ducks, a Pekin and a Pekin-Crested. As many of you on the east coast have experienced, we've had constant rain ALL day. They have a shelter attached to their pen and the area of their food and water is covered by a tarp (temporary measure) which allows that area to stay relatively dry. However, almost all day they have stood in the pouring rain, seemingly unaffected. Sometimes they'd hop in the pond or stand by the food bowl but usually out in the rain. They never go into their shelter until I head out at night for "bedtime." Is this normal duck behavior? Should I encourage them to go into the shelter? It was in the upper 40s / low 50s today. Which brings me to a second question: beyond a heated watering system, any special precautions I should take as the weather gets colder and snow may fall? We have a green house which is something we're considering adapting to house them on terrible days but I'm not sure what a terrible day IS for a duck. Any advice is appreciated!! Many thanks!!

2. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    first of all, [​IMG]

I wouldn't not worry about your duckies. Duck seem to love the rain. The soggier the better. The cold is fine too, ducks are built for cold (Unless they are my spoiled indoor house ducks... they don't like it when the rain is cold. lol)

3. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    My ducks/chickens/geese all go out in the rain, no issues. Ducks and geese love it more because of all the puddles!
    This will be my 1st winter with them all too, but I'm going to do the same that I do in the summer, they will have access to the run/free range during the day and lock them up in their coop at night. Their bodies will acclimate with the weather and as long as they have shelter from wind/snow/drafts then they will be fine through the winter!

4. Jill102

Jill102 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2009
    Thank you both for the advice!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by