Rainbow loom bands for poultry??

Sterkfarm

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 12, 2013
Milton, ON
Hi All, I have tried so many types of leg bands and all have failed for one reason or another. I was leaning toward the zip tie types, but again cutting them off as the leg grows is uncomfortable/hassle. Then last night I see my daughters rainbow loom bands and I think, 'yes! Silicone band, stretchy, priced really well, legbands?' Not to mention they come in dozens of colors and can be doubled up for smaller legs. Also it's about $4-5 for a few hundred where legbands are way more $$.
Id be interested to hear everyone's thoughts.
Bonus: trendy chickens wearing rainbow loom 'bracelets' LOL

I've tried them, the main problem I had with them was the birds kept loosing them since they are basically only one size. If you happened to have birds they fit properly and the birds didn't pull them off scratching, they would work. The only other thing was I was afraid they might eat them if they found them, not that they ever did that I know of. I've wound up going with wing bands for permanent id, and the spiral plastic rings and/or bandettes to tell those apart without catching them every time. The rings are a nuisance on growing birds like you said, not figured out a better way of doing it without going to the big number tags. If it is light colored birds I have used spots of Blu-Kote to tell them apart sometimes.

Back
Top Bottom