Rainbow pack from McMurray?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by animallover505, Jan 31, 2013.

1. Has anyone ever gotten it? If so, what breed did you get? Pics would be awesome!!

2. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I would love to know too!

3. anyone?

4. anybody?

5. holderh

holderh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2011
    I haven't but it sounds very interesting. I want a few different breeds myself so it sounds like something I would do....you could be the guinea pig and try it out for us lol

6. MIchickens

MIchickens Poultrygeist

Dec 1, 2012
    Fostoria, Michigan
    A little info on Murray McMurray. I received my chick a week ago (27 Jan 13). I ordered 47 total chicks of various breeds. I even went as far as to call my main post office hub and ask them to call me and I would pick them up whenever they got there. I received the call at 11:00pm on a Sunday. I drove the 2 hours round trip to get them faster to reduce the stress....if I had waited to get them from my local post office...who knows how many more would have died. 2 of the chicks were DOA in the box when I opened it. Later that day 3 more died. And the next day 3 more died. 1 day after that I only lost 1. Also, I ordered 4 Golden laced Wyandotte's...they didn't ship them to me. Their was a sticker on the inside of the box that said they said they ran out. Now keep in mind I ordered these chicks 3 months in advance. So there's no excuse for not sending them.

OK, now I have 3 chicks with crossed beaks and 1 with an eye problem. I will probably cull them tomorrow.

I would suggest trying to find a local hatchery around you and buy them from there. I am not happy at all with McMurray. Although their people were very nice on the phone each time I called...I believe their chicks are sub-standard. Be prepared to lose a 1/4 of them due to death or sub standard breeding.

I'm just sayin....lol

7. they're probably the closest to me

8. oldrooster

oldrooster One Crazy Nut

from reading the posts for over a year, it seems many people in essence make their own mix of chicks from various hatcheries, so in a way they make their own version of a "rainbow pack" from all sorts of hatcheries, other than that there are a couple of hatcheries that have variety packs of leftover chicks (one also includes turkeys and Guienes) and several people from what it appears on the threads have done they enjoy those, that may be having a lack of feed back, plus it has only been a week.....

9. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Man, I have been hearing a lot of bad things about McMurray this year, sounds like they are really going downhill. I ordered from them two years ago and had a fantastic set of chicks, but from what I have been hearing lately, I don't think I would be ordering from them if my life depended on it.

10. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    I am giving mcmurray a try. I went and ordered the brown layer assortment for this week. They had a sudden sale due to the storm and I couldn't seem to stop my fingers from clicking...

I will let you know how it goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by