1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raining!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by vanilla.exe, Jun 29, 2011.

1. vanilla.exe

vanilla.exe Chillin' With My Peeps

Usually when it starts to rain there's thunder, so I get forewarned and I can get the chickens in their coop. Today it just started raining hardcore and I didn't notice until I heard the rain on the window. I don't *think* the rain can get to them in the run, it's covered. Is it ok to leave them out?

2. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    They will be ok.

3. vanilla.exe

Ok thank you! It was quick summer storm anyway, just stopped raining and now the sun is out.

4. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    If ti si raingin really hard, mine will run for cover. If it is a lighter rain, they stay out in it. They do not seem to be bothered by it. Probably just glad it's not so hot. Although, they do hold their tail feathers pointed down if it is raining.

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    I wish it would rain here. Me & the chickens would both stand in the rain & be loving every last drop.

6. vanilla.exe

I hear you, I'm glad it rained here, for however short of a time. This week we finally got enough rain for the wildfires in georgia to go out, it was smoky here in florida for a few weeks because of them.

7. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] My flock seems to enjoy a shower every few weeks. Especially Mr. Ben Ja~ Roo. He will stand out in the middle of the lawn during a hard rain. The hens all run for cover under the ramp of the coop.

8. ChickiePieGirl

ChickiePieGirl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2011
    I have not had any rain since my girls have been outside. I am curious to see how they react. It rained last night, but they were all in the coop.

9. Karrie13

Karrie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    My girls love to play in the rain and mud after it lightens up from a hard rain. They will be just fine!

10. If I put my chickens in every time it rained - they would never be out in the winter here (this year, they would probably still be in - it has been so WET). Mine do the same thing - they brave the weather if it isn't bad, but if it is coming down in buckets they stay in the house. If they are out in it, they dry off just fine. They don't look HAPPY, but they endure . . . that is why I appreciate the ducks -- they are made for the climate here : )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by