Rainy Days and Guineas

PeaChick C

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
Oskaloosa, Iowa
On really rainy days we have had problems with our guineas. Unlike chickens who take shelter, our guineas don't seem to have any issue getting completely water-logged roaming around in the pouring rain. They come in at night looking pathetic! We have worried about them getting pneumonia. Because of this, we have started keeping them in on days when its going to POUR. I don't mean on little rains. I mean like 40 degree, pouring rain and thunderstorms.

What do you guys all do? In or out?

Since my guineas are free range there is not a lot I can do. They are a very stubborn bird at times and yes I know the drowned rat look very well...funny though. I find their feathering is very unique and tight to the body and they make me think of ducks and geese. You would swear the rain should bounce right off of them.

If guineas really don't like to get sopping wet they will take shelter at their own pace, under trees bushes, etc. No worries about them getting out of the rain. My biggest concern about guineas is they tend to be stoopid during the winter. They will still roost in trees at times and if the weather is miserable and cold they can do harm to themselves and not return to the shelter of a coop. I had to a few times grab a ladder or climb a tree to hand pick the frozen guineas from the trees. I have even witnessed them falling from a tree if their feet and legs got frozen..

To be a guinea owner is to be there when they need you the most. If the weather is bad enough they will come in where they are protected.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom