Rainy days

Adrienne-m

Chirping
May 4, 2020
Hi there! I have a question about chickens and rain. It’s beeping raining like crazy all day. My girls have a water tight (well ventilated) coop then a run with tin roof and hardware mesh sides. They also have a fenced area surrounding all that. The run gets wet but rain doesn’t pour in. This morning they ran out to the outer fence to catch worms and refused to go in. I have been at work. My mom tried at noon and they refused to go in. I figured they would go in when they needed because they know how to get into the run (that door was open when I left) and into the coop. I just wondered if I need to do anything to keep them from getting sick from playing in the rain all day? They have been sneezing a bit in the mornings when they come out after a rainy night but that stops during the day and doesn’t happen when it is dry out. I’m just worrying thinking I should’ve locked them in their coop today but I figured they have access to dryness and know where to go to get it. Thanks!

It has been raining for 2 weeks in my area. My older chickens have dry places to shelter- but they love to go out and dig in the rain. All. Day. Long. My 8 -10 week old baby chicks also absolutely will not stay any where near a dry spot. I am trusting that if they had the sense to go under a heat lamp if they were cold when they were just days old- they probably know what they need. The rain runs off their backs and they were created in a way that keeps them healthy and well no matter what the weather does. Would we LIKE them to stay dry? Yes we would- Can we force it on them- no, they are miserable all cooped up. - oh and I too love to go out and work in the garden when it is raining- the weeds just pop right out of the ground!

It has been raining for 2 weeks in my area. My older chickens have dry places to shelter- but they love to go out and dig in the rain. All. Day. Long. My 8 -10 week old baby chicks also absolutely will not stay any where near a dry spot. I am trusting that if they had the sense to go under a heat lamp if they were cold when they were just days old- they probably know what they need. The rain runs off their backs and they were created in a way that keeps them healthy and well no matter what the weather does. Would we LIKE them to stay dry? Yes we would- Can we force it on them- no, they are miserable all cooped up. - oh and I too love to go out and work in the garden when it is raining- the weeds just pop right out of the ground!
they were happy as can be when I got home!I’m certain they found tons of worms to Eat

they were happy as can be when I got home!I’m certain they found tons of worms to Eat
:lau :gig Yep, but they gave your good ole mom some exercise.. She sounds like a great mom to you... just like you are to your baby birds. ya'll make a good team. FYI" Get some cracked corn- use it sparingly- and teach those birdies early to come to you when you call them throw the corn in the area you want to lock them up. Cracked Corn is their weakness. I say Here chickie chickie chkie and mine come running- even the 7 weeks olds. Of course I only give the babies one or two pieces but that is enough to train them.

Back
Top Bottom