Rainy Night, Wet Bedding, Damp Chicks?

myawesomepullets

Songster
Dec 8, 2020
South Carolina
So I'm raising two Easter Egger chicks (2 weeks old) under a broody pullet. She's doing really well, the chicks are too. Tonight it's been really rainy, flash flooding and several inches of rain have been pouring down for hours. The pullet and her chicks are outside in a special area separated from the main flock, but still outside. Somehow (even though I've done my best to make it secure and rain-proof) rain always sneaks it's way into their indoor nest area and makes the bedding very wet. I think that the chicks would definitely get damp, and I'm not sure what to do (as it's really dark and really late at night and there's nowhere inside that I can safely put them. Any opinions? What to expect tomorrow morning?

I would try to get them off the ground some how. Even if its a small shelf big enough for them to fit and only a few inches off the ground.

I would try to get them off the ground some how. Even if its a small shelf big enough for them to fit and only a few inches off the ground.
They're actually already off the ground. There is a big board (wood) win an upside-down bin screwed onto it. The whole thing is on top of some concrete blocks, about 3-4 inches off the ground. I have wood shavings and straw in there, and it somehow gets really wet when it rains hard. I've tried to figure out the problem several times but to no avail. It usually rains during the day so I can immediately dry out the bedding and whole inside area.

Maybe get a huge cheap plastic tote and cut the side out of it and sit it upside down on that board so they can get in it.

I have a igloo shaped dog house in my run for momma bird and chicks. (I only ever let one bird hatch at a time)

Maybe get a huge cheap plastic tote and cut the side out of it and sit it upside down on that board so they can get in it.

I have a igloo shaped dog house in my run for momma bird and chicks. (I only ever let one bird hatch at a time)
If I waited till tomorrow morning, do you think they'd be okay?

If it's not freezing cold I'd say they be fine for a night. Wild birds have been rearing babies longer than we have been interfering.
Haha good point! A little update: I went out this morning and found both chicks alive and well, but the bedding was VERY damp. Soon I’ll be working to dry it all out. The rain is quite annoying.

Back
Top Bottom