Raise coop or not for MN winters

Justin17

In the Brooder
May 10, 2020
Ramsey, MN
I live in MN and I've heard raising a coop makes them colder. Better to keep them on the ground, especially concerning winters? I have a 4x4 with a gable vent 18" high. I have a 8x12 on ground with ridgevent and gable vents on both ends. Starting to build my 3rd coop, trying to decide to raise it or not. Winter is my biggest concern.

Thanks.

I really think an earth floor is best for poultry housing. If one wants better predator protection, a hwc skirt or full floor can solve that problem. I do have a raised coop. It's nice they can use it for shade and (with a board across the windward side) shelter during the day. It doesn't seem to matter to the birds about the floor being elevated. They use it, or the on-ground converted shed, equally.

I had a bunch in the (ventilated-not heated) greenhouse during the winter. I prefer that "floor". It just seems cleaner. It's a well-drained area and never damp even though I often dump buckets of water right on the ground (probably wouldn't do that, but the ground in there didn't freeze). I'm a big fan of pole buildings and earthen floors with or without deep bedding.

Oh BTW, there's a MN thread. They let me hang out there since the SD thread isn't active. It's called Surviving Minnesota . I think many of them are colder than me, but longer growing season. I'm at about a mile elevation, so we do get some weather. Still, they may be more comparable to your situation depending on where in the state you are.

Oh BTW, there's a MN thread. They let me hang out there since the SD thread isn't active. It's called Surviving Minnesota . I think many of them are colder than me, but longer growing season. I'm at about a mile elevation, so we do get some weather. Still, they may be more comparable to your situation depending on where in the state you are.
Sweet, thanks Cindy!

Back
Top Bottom