Raised 25 Jumbo Rocks. 13 Died While Waiting To Process. WHY WHY WHY??

Did you happen to recognize any of the other folks getting theirs done??

Maybe you could ask them what their losses were, if any?

If none, ask them WHY... younger, breed? Since they're in your area they know the temps and whatnot, plus raising so they know the birds, and using the same butcher too. They may be able to offer you advice that's more helpful because they're close?

She also told us that the ones they were able to process had enlarged hearts with fluid around them and the livers were fatty.

did you have feed for them 24/7, not the grass and bug but grain, crumbles or pellets. Jumbo's have to have restricted feed 'Fluid in the body cavity (Ascite) and/or leg weakness may result and it may be necessary to restrict the feed intake - slowing down the growth rate.' that with the heat probably caused your birds to die.​

The sun could very well have killed them. Especially combined with moving. It isn't that hard to process your own. Like everything it takes practice. I butcher mine two or three at a time. I put on a big kettle of water and while it is heating I go to the barn and kill a couple chickens or so. By the time I get back the water is hot and I scald and pluck those two. Depending how I am feeling when I finish those two, I may or may not go back and get two more. I get my 25 done and in the freezer in about a week to ten days. Works for me.

I was told the Jumbo Rocks just didn't do well for them and others in the area. Most people just stuck with plain Cornish Roasters and that was what worked well.

It's all a moot point though. My Wife is set on NEVER raising the Jumbo Rocks again. And I'm partial to that as well. They grew at an almost mutant rate, and even though they had plenty of room to run, explore, and LIVE, they just kind of sat around, ate, and got fat. (kind of reminded me of todays Youth!).

The Cornish Rocks on the other hand ran, had fun, enjoyed the life they had. I have no problems with eating Meat and Poultry. But I beleive we should treat the things we eat in a way that is good.

But in this case, these Rocks just didn't seem "all there". The Hen from our First group is still running around happy and having fun. So I guess I'll stick with Cornish Rocks, and then we can have the best of both worlds.

From what I read on the Jumbo Rocks they were a recent Breed developed in the late 80's for Fast Growth.

Quote:
You didn't do anything wrong. It seems to me that they were left alone for 2 hours possibly in the sun. It doesn't take long for cornish x rocks to get overheated especially if they were raised in the shade. If 13 dropped over dead in three hours.... totally not your fault and I would be furious. Honestly I would look for another processor or try to do them yourself next time. Sorry for your loss that's a lot of meat to lose in three hours.

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay :

Quote:
There's the problem, the birds were too big/old. Plus the cages were probably packed too tight.

The Commercial Broiler is designed to be butchered in the 6 to 8 weeks of age window, 4.5 to 8 lb. From our experience getting older than that makes breasts that are too large and legs that resemble turkey legs with too many tendons for a good eating experience.

Jim

That's not why they died.... that's the processors fault for leaving them in the heat. That's insane to leave birds in 90 degree weather like that.... regardless of their size.​

Quote:
Exactly my thoughts! If the processer didn't kill them, then they could be liable for any sickness that could be blamed on the meat. Even if it wasn't tainted! If it were me....I would have done it myself ( the dead ones) if I could have gotten them home quick enough! But " To each their own!"

God Bless!

I could see that in some places.

One other idea...Don't quote me on this, but if the processor was a kosher processor they wouldn't be allowed to process animals that were already dead. Your dead birds would be considered unclean and would contaminate the equipment which would contaminate all the other birds. Hopefully there's a rabbi on here that can set me straight.

My Wife agrees it was the Heat that killed them. Our property has many Old Growth Oaks, Maple, Cherry. We live in Mt. Airy Maryland. It's called that because in most spots there's ALWAYS a breeze. Just the way the area is situated always makes it cooler. I work in DC and have come home often to temps 10 degrees or cooler with a breeze. And on some parts of the property it gets even cooler because of the Grotto and Streams we have running there.

It's an Animal Paradise with fresh water and good stuff to eat. As for the Cages, my Wife used Cages made to hold 25 Chickens for EACH Group. We did that specifically so they wouldn't be crowded together. I've seen the other ones packed in like cord wood, and it isn't in our nature to stack or pack anything breathing like that.

I think it was just to darn hot, and since they hadn't been in the sun much at all, to sit there in it Full like that did them in. The other cage had been underneath something that shaded it, so I'm assuming that's why they lived. If they had all died, I think my Wife would have gone nuclear... But we learned.

From now on we are sticking with the Cornish Rocks and if I have to stand there with an umbrella next time, that's what I'll do. I'm still sick over the poor things dying in the Heat like that after a lazy shady life.

Back
Top Bottom