Raised Bed grazer planting ideas

wisecane

Chirping
Aug 9, 2022
Hey all!

I live in central Florida and constructed a couple of grazing boxes this weekend.

I'm in the seed business, so I have access to pretty much anything I want to plant.

Need ideas on what would most beneficial to chickens.

I could do grains/forage in one box and herbs in the other, or mix it up for both.

My little raptors destroy any vegetation within reach so I needed a way to give them fresh greens.

Thank you in advance!

My hens loved all human approved greens, like lettuce, kale, and arugula. Does kale grow okay in Florida? I know the lettuce will probably bolt pretty fast down there, but my birds didn't seem to mind the bitterness.

I would also do a whole plot of a type of grass. I think you can pick which type you want, they seem to like them all. Maybe a perennial type? Does perennial ryegrass grow okay down there? I have never done hot climate gardening, only trying to beat the frost gardening. 😅

What you plant may depend on the size of the mesh used.
1/2" HC is only good for grass type leaves, I planted wheat.
Larger mesh would accommodate larger leaves, but also allow chicken to reach down and yank the whole plant.

My hens loved all human approved greens, like lettuce, kale, and arugula. Does kale grow okay in Florida? I know the lettuce will probably bolt pretty fast down there, but my birds didn't seem to mind the bitterness.

I would also do a whole plot of a type of grass. I think you can pick which type you want, they seem to like them all. Maybe a perennial type? Does perennial ryegrass grow okay down there? I have never done hot climate gardening, only trying to beat the frost gardening. 😅
I'll do the rye in winter, it won't grow here well past April.

I'm gonna do a legume/grain mix in one and herbs/brassicas in the other for now. I was mainly looking for recommended herbs: thyme, rosemary, etc, etc. I don't know what's best for the birds.

I can do winter oats/wheat/etc in the fall.

I give them yard clippings, but I have too many to allow to free range, they'd destroy it lol.

Most herbs they'll just ignore from my experience. Maybe it is because some have compounds that are kind of intense.

Maybe someone else will know of one that their birds liked. I think they like dill and cilantro, but I am not sure if that is memory or intuition.

Desmanthus virgatus is a different one that would thrive in Florida and tolerate grazing. Being low it would go good in a grazing box.
Mine love tetragonia also.
Brazilian spinach is hardy and tasty and suited to the tropics
Medicago truncatula would also suit grazing box, it's vigorous and the chooks love it.

Pigeon pea and moringa aren't really grazing box suitable. But they are high in protien and perennial. Grow them nearby and throw them a branch occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom