Raised coop - how high?

TIMELESSCHICKS

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 14, 2008
Northwest IL
We are new to chickens and have 32 chickens arriving the end of May. We are in the process of designing and building our new coop. We are going to be fencing in the area with a couple of old dog runs but want to raise the coop to give them a place to get shade during the summer. How high do you recommend? We have Opringtons, New England Reds and a few Partidge Cochins. Any advice is welcome and this is the best chicken site I have found. Thanks to all in advance.

We put ours up about 3 ft.

IMGP0325.jpg

Standard size chickens (well, mine anyhow) can squinch down into a 14" space if absolutely necessary; can stand reasonably naturally with 20-22"; and can stand on tiptoe and hop around and so forth with more space. Personally I'd go with something close to 2.5 feet.

Good luck,

Pat

Hi and Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Our modified Chick-N-Barn is raised up on a 2' frame...

47b7d738b3127ccebce9ea3d658800000036100FYtm7ho2Y-

Our Post Brooder Coop aka ghetto coop is also on a 2' frame...

47b8df09b3127cceb565c83e346400000026100FYtm7ho2Y-

We decided to go with the 2' raise since we're raising Bantams and because I'm "height challenged" (5' 2"). We were going to go 3' on the Barn but then I would have needed a step ladder to get into the "lids" of the Barn.
hmm.png

Hope this helps!

Dawn

I would agree that about 18 inches to 2 feet as the lowest would be the best idea.

You want to consider how easy it is for you to get under there for any cleaning.

Congrats on your new arrivals. Hope they all get there safe and sound.

Have fun and welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom