1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raising a lone chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by poppyinpink, Mar 13, 2013.

1. poppyinpink

poppyinpink New Egg

Mar 13, 2013
    I am running a hatching project in my year 1 classroom, the eggs have been in the incubator for 15 days, (I bought them on ebay so don't know when they were laid) and I think I only have one viable chick - I am worried about it being alone once it has hatched. Am I right to worry about its emotional health?

Any advice as to what to do for the best would be most appreciated!
    Thankyou!

p.s. I have another embryo that isn't as developed as the one I mentioned above and I think the air space has got bigger, is this probably a dead chick?

2. nanaluvsgps

nanaluvsgps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    Australia
    If the second embroy has veins it means it is alive, or died with in the last 24 hours. If only one hatches then just pick up another chick from a produce store of the same age, because chickens are very social animals. Good luck :)

3. farmer12

farmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2012
    i agree with nanaluvsgps

4. Misstwixler

Misstwixler Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2013
    I bought ONE chicken from the local feed store this week and within hours it died. I called the feed store back and they said they misunderstood me when I said I had 5 at home. I have 5 older chickens. No chicks. They said it's always best to have them in pairs because they will chirp and chirp looking for someone else.....If this is correct, I don't know. This is just what the feed store told me.

5. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    My first hatch ever i only incubated one egg. Thus only one hatched. The most friendliest chick ever. Let me pick him up all the time. Followed me around everywhere. probably because he spent so much time with me instead of other chickens. However he was a rooster so he got mean eventually and started chasing me, attacking me, cornering me in the coop, and making me cry so he's gone now. lol

6. Brahmaman

Brahmaman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2012
    Centennial Colorado
    My first 2 chicks I bought at a feed store and one died. The other one turned out to be a rooster and I had to get rid of it but it was the nicest chicken I ever had. Just give it a lot of attention and I think it will turn out fine.

7. Kay1993

Kay1993 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    Hawaii
    Put a mirror and stuffed animal in the brooder so it won't feel so alone. I also agree you should get it a friend if the other eggs don't make it. I've recently been trying to introduce my 6 week old lone chick to my 3 week olds, she's having trouble socializing with them and will get aggressive if one comes too close to her. Good luck, I hope you get more than one hatch [​IMG]!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by