Raising a mixed flock

Mlfleet

Hatching
Feb 23, 2023
Hi! My boyfriend and I are looking at getting back into raising birds once we buy a house. We are still a year or so out but I figured I’d get my research done now! I’ve grown up on a farm and I’ve raised ducks, chickens and guineas separately. I would like to expand and raise ducks, chickens, guineas, turkeys, pheasants, quail, partridge and peafowl. I know quite a bit about the diseases, foods and ratios etc. I’ve heard mixed reviews on keeping them all together (I’d raise the quail and partridge separately for sure!) some people say it’s doable while others don’t. I was wondering if it’s possible and if anyone has any advice! Thank you 😊

Be sure to raise the species separately so they know what species they belong to otherwise you can get ducks trying to mate chickens, and turkeys fighting and killing other species just to name a few things that can go wrong.

You can mix chickens and ducks, but everything will be wet. Turkeys in my experiences will be bullies with other species sometimes.

Pheasants, quail, partridge, and peafowl are more flighty and are often harder to tame down. They need better fencing to keep them from escaping where ducks and chickens will generally come back to their sheds to roost and eat.

Best to separate some of the species for safety, and for the animals own well being.

Be sure to raise the species separately so they know what species they belong to otherwise you can get ducks trying to mate chickens, and turkeys fighting and killing other species just to name a few things that can go wrong.

You can mix chickens and ducks, but everything will be wet. Turkeys in my experiences will be bullies with other species sometimes.

Pheasants, quail, partridge, and peafowl are more flighty and are often harder to tame down. They need better fencing to keep them from escaping where ducks and chickens will generally come back to their sheds to roost and eat.

Best to separate some of the species for safety, and for the animals own well being.
Thank you! I will definitely do that then!

Back
Top Bottom