Raising a Rooster as Part of Your Backyard Flock: Discussion Thread

I purchased 10 pullets, 5 Buffs and 5 Americanas. One was unexpedically was a rooster,one of the Americanas. That was ok I figured, because the one in 9 rule was perfect. They are 14 weeks old today and "Black Jack" the Rooster just wont leave the hens alone and has started even attacking them after they go in for the night. what should I do or is there nothing I can do about nature's course except putting him in the crock pot?

Define "attack"?? Is he trying to breed them & they aren't ready? Or is he being "abusive"? 

If he's simply trying to mate, then its just teenage hormones. You can let them sort it out or not, just depends on if you want a rooster

If he's really attacking him, he's still young enough for the BBQ.
I second that :)

I've got my first flock of egg layers. I orginally ordered 10 pullets. One didn't survive shipment, another died shortly after arrival and now at 3 1/2 weeks old I'm almost positive one is a rooster. Do you think it'll be ok with a rooster in the flock if there's only 7 hens? Hopefully all the rest are pullets! But I have a coop with a run and a large yard I plan to have them free range some during the day while I'm out in the yard with them. I like the idea of a rooster that will likely protect my hens from my cat and a few little neighborhood dogs and any wild chickens since we have a ton here on Kauai. I'm hoping he's nice cause I have a toddler and if he's aggressive he will def end up in the crock pot. But just wondering if 7 hens will be enough for the one Roo?

Yes. Depends on the rooster, but they'll mostly all have favorites. I myself have a rooster with just five hens. They do absolutely fine. Right now since he's young, it's just a play by ear thing. Watch his behavior with the girls.

I have 5 adult hens, and 6 five week old chicks (we are planning on integrating them at 8 weeks). I'm pretty confident 5 of the chicks are females and one Aquila (australorp/RIR mix) is a rooster. He's a sweet heart, and I would like to keep him if possible since we live in a rural area on acerage. He loves to climb right up on your shoulder and nestle in your lap for pets and a nap. I've heard different advice from different people - some say I shouldn't let him climb up on me, that I should pick him up if I'm going to give him affection so he knows I'm boss or even that I should just completely ignore him. Others have said to do what ever I can to keep handling him and make him nice. Any thoughts on how I should proceed?

I also have 9 bantam chicks (kept separately, also 5-6 weeks of age), 4 of which I'm pretty sure are roosters. None of them are particularly friendly - one is curious about people but if you try to pick him up squawks like he's being tortured. The purpose of the bantams is 4H chickens for my kids, so if they are not nice or amazingly beautiful they are becoming dinner.

Last edited:
I treat mine like pet but still do things that would show im the alpah. Like making him move when I walk at him,and not give a care or show any fear of him might attacking me.Doing all this can help keep you both friends.

I love roosters! I had one but had to give him away because we are not allowed to have them. I decided that If I ended up with another one I would keep him till the neighbors complained.

My last roo was not 6 months yet when we gave him away but he was always nice. Iwill try your techniques with my next rooster.

Back
Top Bottom