Raising a rooster

Someone pointed me to this thread. Look for dogkahuna's post on the second page. Really good advice! Probably a lot of other interesting info there as well but I immediately put her method to use and started getting good results right away so I didn't explore more. I should do that!

Hope it helps you as it did me.
Excellent read thanks

It is true that you shouldn't cuddle roosters as babies. But sometimes people who are new to chickens don't know if they have a rooster until they've crowed, and by then, it's too late. You shouldn't cuddle because they get too trustful and comfortable around humans and then they think that it is safe to attack people, while roosters who were hardly handled are nervous around people and won't run up to them. Some roosters do enjoy being pet and cuddled right into adulthood and beyond, and are not aggressive. You can't tell if they will turn later in life so better safe than sorry and don't handle them. Since this guy is five months old, you will probably see after a few days of settling in what kind of a rooster he is and if you should handle or not. If he is aggressive you should begin right away being fearless and dominant so that from the beginning he knows who is on the top.

oops, forgot to add about my situation.
Back in 2016 I got eight chicks, one of which was a roo. I didn't know ANYTHING about chickens (literally, I brought home eight chicks. No brooder, no shavings, no light, no feeders or waterers), so of course I hadn't heard anything about cuddling roosters. I loved my little guy (I though he was a hen) and always carried him inside my jacket, and he would rest his little head on my chest and sleep. When he got to be big he became aggressive and very big for his little britches. It was months of him being the boss, me being the boss, him, me, him, me, him before FINALLY I figured out how to get him to realize who was really on top. I definitely believe me cuddling him so much as a baby to be the reason he is such a brazen young thing, but also he is simply an aggressive breed. His sons all have a naughty streak in them, even though they are hen-raised and therefore more nervous around people. Trying to pick gentler, calmer, and more laid back breeds and not handling them more than is needed will definitely help with aggression.

I think that's the crux here. Some individuals and some breeds will naturally be docile enough that even if you DO cuddle and spoil them, they won't come after you. Or they'll have enough hens and enough space that they don't bother with you. But sooner or later, you might end up with some that even the slightest bit of spoiling will ruin. Personally, I don't take the chance. And honestly, I don't have the time or patience to coddle and tame chicks period. They aren't terrified of me, but we aren't buddies really. I might have to learn how to train a bit if I ever show, but that's years away.

I've said it a hundred times before, and I'll say it a hundred more times to come. :)

You'll find conflicting answers on this subject - some representing the group that treats their cockerels with profuse affection, and others preferring to adopt a hands-off attitude. Both sides claim it's worked for them. What does this tell you?

It has very little to do with the method in which young roos are raised, instead based upon individual tendencies.....at least, in my opinion. I have experimented with both methods, and neither resulted solidly in good-natured (or bad) roosters. My last group of 6 OEGB cockerels was cuddled flat, to put it lightly. All received the same amount of love. Three became human-aggressive, two are standoffish (but completely lack aggressive qualities), and the last is as affectionate as one could hope for.

Might I suggest doing what you feel most comfortable with? Either way, it's likely your boy will turn out exactly how he's going to turn out, regardless.

Most of all, enjoy him if you wish to! :)

~Alex

I've said it a hundred times before, and I'll say it a hundred more times to come. :)

You'll find conflicting answers on this subject - some representing the group that treats their cockerels with profuse affection, and others preferring to adopt a hands-off attitude. Both sides claim it's worked for them. What does this tell you?

It has very little to do with the method in which young roos are raised, instead based upon individual tendencies.....at least, in my opinion. I have experimented with both methods, and neither resulted solidly in good-natured (or bad) roosters. My last group of 6 OEGB cockerels was cuddled flat, to put it lightly. All received the same amount of love. Three became human-aggressive, two are standoffish (but completely lack aggressive qualities), and the last is as affectionate as one could hope for.

Might I suggest doing what you feel most comfortable with? Either way, it's likely your boy will turn out exactly how he's going to turn out, regardless.

Most of all, enjoy him if you wish to! :)

~Alex
:goodpost:

A lot does depend on the rooster but there’s plenty that owners screw up too. You don’t need to be “in charge”. How anyone believes that is beyond me! A 5-8lb rooster attacking a human isn’t exactly a smart thing to do. The average 12 yr old could stomp him into the ground. Roosters don’t think like a human. They defend territory and hens. The owner just needs to be present. Most people are just afraid and they make quick movements that startle a lot of roosters.
Why does it bother a person that a rooster mates a hen or crows near them again?

Back
Top Bottom