Raising a rooster

Why does it bother a person that a rooster mates a hen or crows near them again?
I used to "correct" my cockerels for these natural behaviors, as instructed by articles on roo raising. Did it prevent them from attacking me by way of proving dominance? Heavens no! :confused: If anything, they became fearful, not respectful.

~Alex

A lot does depend on the rooster but there’s plenty that owners screw up too. You don’t need to be “in charge”. How anyone believes that is beyond me! A 5-8lb rooster attacking a human isn’t exactly a smart thing to do. The average 12 yr old could stomp him into the ground. Roosters don’t think like a human. They defend territory and hens. The owner just needs to be present. Most people are just afraid and they make quick movements that startle a lot of roosters.
Why does it bother a person that a rooster mates a hen or crows near them again?
Yep ... you’re right. I probably gave away a perfectly good roosters because I didn’t handle his adolescence right. I’m not afraid and I’m more than willing to work with a animal. But when I found myself so angry at him that I was going to shoot him ... I gave him away. Then the whole bucket full of “stupid” came down on my head. I don’t breed why would I ever need a rooster? Now before folks chime in about protection and the like please save the keystrokes. I absolutely love looks of roosters they are magnificent. But honestly I shouldn’t of tried to raise one. Lesson learned

Yep ... you’re right. I probably gave away a perfectly good roosters because I didn’t handle his adolescence right. I’m not afraid and I’m more than willing to work with a animal. But when I found myself so angry at him that I was going to shoot him ... I gave him away. Then the whole bucket full of “stupid” came down on my head. I don’t breed why would I ever need a rooster? Now before folks chime in about protection and the like please save the keystrokes. I absolutely love looks of roosters they are magnificent. But honestly I shouldn’t of tried to raise one. Lesson learned
Absolutely. Not everyone wants or needs a rooster, and there is nothing wrong with that at all.

Yep ... you’re right. I probably gave away a perfectly good roosters because I didn’t handle his adolescence right. I’m not afraid and I’m more than willing to work with a animal. But when I found myself so angry at him that I was going to shoot him ... I gave him away. Then the whole bucket full of “stupid” came down my head. I don’t breed why would I ever need a rooster? Now before folks chime in about protection and the like please save the keystrokes. I absolutely love looks of roosters they are magnificent. But honestly I shouldn’t of tried to raise one. Lesson learned
Lol. I have about 75 roosters. It definitely takes some patience. Usually during summer and fall I have quite a few younger roosters running around. The idea of walking around with confidence is true. Generally birds get out of the way or they get stepped on. I hand feed roosters, pick them up etc.. None of this makes them mean. Rough handling, beating with a stick, kicking etc sure as hell will though.

I can't figure roosters out for the life of me. My main rooster Max is a Pumpkin Halsey game bird. He was our first rooster and we took him in because he was nearly beat to death by his previous owner's main rooster. We nursed him back to health, held him, hand fed him and he has always been friendly to everyone except other roosters. All of our other roosters, and I have had a bunch, are his offspring. Most are sweet and go about their business and stay out of Max's way. Some pick up a few spare hens and some live as bachelors with their hatch mates. I have had one that was pure evil who went after everyone every day. He went into the pot. I now I have one that is moody. Sometimes he steers clear and sometimes he goes after anyone who comes near. I am afraid he will be going to the pot soon if he doesn't change his ways. It is a shame because he is one of the prettiest roosters I have had. Except for Max, they were all raised the same, so I have no idea why a few turned out so mean.

I will start by saying firstly this is just my experience anyone else's will likely differ. My rooster was raised as a hen, yes it is true.
I bought four eggs and got one boy and two girls.
I didn't have the time nor patience at that point to treat him any differently so he was girl number three.
He was held, hand fed, bathed and food trained like everyone else.
Two years later, he's a model rooster. I had a slight bit of misplaced foot courting but that's it.
Never been pecked, threatned, or flogged by him.
This would lead me to believe that if done in an at least semi logical manner handling won't ruin a decent rooster.:)

Good morning. I've only had experiance with 2 roosters. Yesterday I was told that you dont really want to have a "holding/petting" relationship/bond with your rooster cause it actually creates them to be on the meaner side. I had a lavander orpington who loved being held and pet and I just picked up a 5 month old Ayam Cemani and I really wanted to bond with it but now I'm second guessing. Is this true or what is your experiance?
I have several that interact with me closely, often routinely. Generally, physical contact has them standing on my hand or forearm.

img_1403-1-jpg.1434752

Petting and cuddling they seem to have issue with so that is not done. When holding them for control, they are held a manor similar to how my son is doing it in image below.

23561806_1607910409231449_5235135357497855843_n.jpg

I have 8 roos oldest is ranging from ages 3 yrs old- 5 mths. Two are in a bachelor pad, 1 in his own (but gonna get some ladies next week), two others are in their seperate areas with females, and two are in with 11 females. 1 other I had to cull a few mths back. He was an a** that attacked everyone all the time. 5 of my roos are his sons. Noone has even tried anything. I raised them all hens and boys the same and still cannot believe that one turned out so awful. Two of my boys are pretty much textbook perfect. A couple run like I am putting them on the menu and the others basically ignore me except at treat time. In my opinion, I think it does not really matter what we do. Some are treasures others are just jerks like people.

Back
Top Bottom