Raising a single chick?

StarLover21

Songster
8 Years
Oct 11, 2011
So a few months ago one of my black star pullets died from a hawk attack. I have two older hens that don't really lay anymore, and was looking to get another chick/pullet. Now I love my chickens as lap chickens, and so I like to raise them from youngsters. Do you think it would be to mean to raise it by itself? Maybe a chick, maybe a 5/6 week pullet?
Thanks!

You should atleast get one more to accompany the other. Any breed would do. I had a Black Silkie and a Standard Cochin grow up together, and they stay together till this day, now 8 months later. Though I have 10 other chickens as well.

Last edited:
You will need a mirror so it has a friend in addition to you.
smile.png
Then a little feather duster so it has a mommy / friend to snuggle with at night so they are not alone at night. Lots of flock animals like parakeets and other birds are stand alone pets locked in a cage their entire life. Thants not the case with your little guy right?

You will want a second or third. They are flock animals and do not thrive alone. Also, your older hens may prove a problem when it comes time to introduce them and you will want it to have someone to snuggle with if they do not allow it to roost with them.

Just introduced two young pullets that I raised (17 weeks) to my mom's 2.5yr barred rocks and the older girls are very, very mean to the young ones. If we had introduced a single bird to the flock I've no doubt they would have killed her or starved her to death.

Edited to add: it seems that flocks with multiple ages do not integrate completely and often group based on age. This would also be a potential factor in the chicken's quality of life as an adult. Get it a buddy!

Last edited:
I don't think it's horrible to just have one chicken/chick if it's a house chicken. But I think it would be really hard on a single chick to be stuck in with two full grown hens, as blaze suggested. The poor thing would most likely be bullied horribly. Chickens don't take well to new additions anyway, but at least there's safety in numbers. For that reason, I would get two.

There should be more than one. They WILL imprint on you if you raise them but they do better if there are 3-4 at least together.

Back
Top Bottom