Raising a single duckling help!!

Emma Mc

In the Brooder
May 18, 2017
Hello!! I just got a new duckling earlier today, she is a welsh harlequin, about a week old. I am raising her without any buddies, but ive seen online that a duckling needs a friend. I dont know a ton about ducks but I know a bit. Unfortunately i do not have a heat lamp for her, so she has 2 normal lamps aiming into her duck house. She constantly has food and water, a stuffed animal, a mirror, a bowl big with water big enough for her to get into that is warm, she has a heating pad, a warm water bottle, and some cloths. I change her house frequently, I use pine shavings,but she hasnt been eating them which is good. She sleeps in a kennel beside my bed with all the same stuff thats in her house but not the lamps, i put a blanket over her kennel and i spend most of my day with her, she runs around my room and naps on me and cuddles, but is that enough? i recently had a different duckling die and i raised her the same way, there were no signs of why she would die and im worried about my new duckling dieing as well. Any suggestions?

Get it a friend...Ducks get very lonely without other Ducks....They do need heat, also they need to be able to get away from it if they are too warm....water deep enough to dip its head into so it can clean its nares and eyes many times a day....Ducklings till around 7 weeks need food and water at all times....

Best wishes.....:frow

Get it a friend...Ducks get very lonely without other Ducks....They do need heat, also they need to be able to get away from it if they are too warm....water deep enough to dip its head into so it can clean its nares and eyes many times a day....Ducklings till around 7 weeks need food and water at all times....

Best wishes.....:frow

I do have all of that except a friend for her, will she be okay without one?

No....Ducks are very social....Behavioural problem will start...You can not be with the Duck 24 hours a day like another Duck would be....They need company from another Duck....They noodle each other and play together .....

No....Ducks are very social....Behavioural problem will start...You can not be with the Duck 24 hours a day like another Duck would be....They need company from another Duck....They noodle each other and play together .....
My mom has a couple ducks, if i bring her over there to be wjth them while i am gone, will that be enough for her

Ducks need a proper introduction and If yours is constantly brought in and removed they will never except her as a flock member.....Just an intruder....
You need another Duck or give her to your Mom and visit her over their...
Best wishes.....

Ducks need a proper introduction and If yours is constantly brought in and removed they will never except her as a flock member.....Just an intruder....
You need another Duck or give her to your Mom and visit her over their...
Best wishes.....
alrifht i am looking into getting another one :)

I definetely agree with getting it a duckling friend asap- they NEED a companion, otherwise they will become depressed and even die from loneliness. Ducklings raised on their own will become 'imprinted' to you, and get extremely anxious when you're not there 24/7. Apart from that, you seem to be doing everything else correctly :thumbsup.

Good luck! :)

I definetely agree with getting it a duckling friend asap- they NEED a companion, otherwise they will become depressed and even die from loneliness. Ducklings raised on their own will become 'imprinted' to you, and get extremely anxious when you're not there 24/7. Apart from that, you seem to be doing everything else correctly :thumbsup.

Good luck! :)

Got her a friend! :)
IMG_2310.JPG

Back
Top Bottom